Author Topic: firefox 3 hangs on exit when web shield is on  (Read 22285 times)

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: firefox 3 hangs on exit when web shield is on
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »
-= Some sort of same here.. Firefox 3.5rc.. Takes at least 20 secs to completely shutdown FF else, clicking the desktop shortcut yields "Another Firefox process appears to be running. Please close the other processes before opening a new window.."
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »
The connections are opened, hardware and drivers interaction, the traffic is being scanned... close a browser is not as simple as before. I think the delay could be reduced, but it will be always there.
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 04:58:54 PM »
-= Because of the "delay", I've switched to Chrome.. Enjoying it.. Hoping for add-ons for Chrome..
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »
Hoping for add-ons for Chrome.
Man... Chrome has no configurability... my browsing experience got very damaged due to that...
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
-= Because of the "delay", I've switched to Chrome.. Enjoying it.. Hoping for add-ons for Chrome..

You will be waiting a while, whilst it is undoubtedly fast, I too felt it was a poor user experience with virtually no user configuration. There are also many concerns over user privacy so much so that it has spawned SWIron chrome without the google privacy issues.

For me it has been more hype than functionality, heck we are now on version 3.0 in 9 months. For me that smacks of trying to look like a mature established program. This is more obvious when you compare it with other major browsers and how long they have been around and what version they are on.

Chrome, thanks but no thanks.

I have to say I have had no such shutdown issues with firefox 3.0 or 3.5, when I close the browser that's it is closes and its task manager entry goes immediately.

So I don't know what settings you have that might be doing anything, clearing browser history or other items or what other security software or OS settings, which might have an impact. Firefox isn't 3.5rc any longer, since I believe that you took part in the beta builds and the rc version you may well have bumped into why beta software is something which you have to fully understand there can be issues.

I would suggest complete removal of firefox (folders, registry, etc.) and ensure everything has gone and install the regular release version 3.5 and install it cleanly.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »
-= Differencials in preferences & I wont insist about it..
avast! 9 RC1

cinchez

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »

I have to say I have had no such shutdown issues with firefox 3.0 or 3.5, when I close the browser that's it is closes and its task manager entry goes immediately.

Same Here!^^
FF rocks!^^

"Maybe" the problem lies in the PC, not the browser?

-AnimeLover^^