Author Topic: firefox 3 hangs on exit when web shield is on  (Read 22238 times)

Firebytes

Re: firefox 3 hangs on exit when web shield is on
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »
I have two computers with basically the same software setups. Firefox was frequently hanging when closing (95 - 100%CPU) on one of them. I would have to patiently wait to open Windows Task Manager and kill the firefox.exe process manually. Both computers have Avast on them and both had Threatfire on them. For me the solution was to uninstall Threatfire, after that...no more lock ups. I never even tried disabling a part of Avast to see if it was the problem. Maybe if I had just disabled Avast's webshield that would have worked too.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »
Both had Threatfire on them. For me the solution was to uninstall Threatfire, after that...no more lock ups.
No doubt... Threatfire messing things again...
The best things in life are free.

Twinkletoes

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
...Firefox was frequently hanging when closing (95 - 100%CPU) on one of them...
What version of Firefox were you running at that point ? 

(I don't know much about it, but isn't it asking for trouble to run two anti-virus programmes?)

Twinkletoes

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »
Could some knowledgeable soul comment on this idea.

In a normal day I mostly visit the same half-dozen sites all the time (BBC News, Yahoo Finance, etc).  If I set WebShield at the CUSTOM level, and then under the Exceptions tab enter the URL's of those half-dozen sites, could I expect that to solve - or at any rate alleviate - my problem???  (By "my problem"  I mean Firefox 3.0.1 taking a minute or so to close.) 

Firebytes

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 10:44:43 PM »
...Firefox was frequently hanging when closing (95 - 100%CPU) on one of them...
What version of Firefox were you running at that point ? 

(I don't know much about it, but isn't it asking for trouble to run two anti-virus programmes?)

I am using XP Home with Firefox 3.0.3.

Running two realtime AV's would be asking for conflicts but Threatfire isn't a true AV, it is a behavior blocker. It is meant to run alongside a traditional AV. I ran it or the program it sprang from (Cyberhawk) along with Avast for a long time with no problems at all. I was still having no problems with it one one of my computers. Maybe the problem came from an update to TF or FF that started a conflict, I don't really know. I may reinstall it at some point in the future and see if the problem returns.

Solemn

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »
Just adding to this issue, I've always experienced this same kind of hanging effect with Firefox 3 (never FF2) on my system (Vista 64 bit fully updated).  The only difference is for me it isn't as significant like hanging for 1 minute which I'm thinking may be because of my computer's hardware performance, but there is definitely something going on.  This has happened ever since I've had FF3 (which was since it came out) and every version that has come out since hasn't done anything to the problems (versions 3.0.0-3.0.3 all have done nothing to this including all previous avast! updates). 

Other details I've noticed is that there's a slow kind of response when FF3 closes--the window closing looks like it lags (this is using Vista's Aero theme) and even once it's gone the FF3 process will still be in the task manager running for a short while before finally shutting down (which isn't normal from past experience with firefox).  I sometimes get errors too where Firefox says something about it being already running or that it's busy shutting down (I forget--it's been a while).  Using the built-in function to clear cache in FF3 lags significantly too than before on FF2, which used to be an issue before with avast spewing out tons of error messages just because of me deleting temp files.  Then again I'm getting similar errors again (refer to the link at the end of this post).

Oddly enough the reason why I never posted here was because I honestly never thought avast was linked to it, but after reading these posts, it definitely seems relevant.  It's been around for quite a while now and looks like it affects Vista users the most as I (so far) haven't seen any drastic issues with FF3 closing on my family computers that run on XP SP3 with avast.  I could be wrong though.

The only other "issue" with avast I've been able to identify so far (mentioned it earlier) is that the old error messages for deleting temp files seems to be back.  It isn't critical but it is something that has been lingering around for quite a while now.  My old post on this is located here for those that are interested.  Not sure if this is relevant at all but I figured it should be added to the list here as well while we're at it.

Edit: Did a short test with avast's shields down while continuously running and closing firefox in different scenarios.  I can confirm that there's a difference in responsiveness and speed with the shields down.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:31:16 PM by Solemn »

Twinkletoes

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »
Could some knowledgeable soul comment on this idea.

In a normal day I mostly visit the same half-dozen sites all the time (BBC News, Yahoo Finance, etc).  If I set WebShield at the CUSTOM level, and then under the Exceptions tab enter the URL's of those half-dozen sites, could I expect that to solve - or at any rate alleviate - my problem???  (By "my problem"  I mean Firefox 3.0.1 taking a minute or so to close.) 

Interesting.  Very interesting indeed.  When I do as described above (i.e. setting WebShield at CUSTOM with my "normal" URL's entered under the Exceptions tab), Firefox 3.0.1 closes (according to Task Manager) in under ten seconds!!!  As opposed to around a minute previously...

It really would be nice to have somebody who is an expert at Avast! to (a) comment on that, and (b) to explain to me how I can set the WebShield to CUSTOM permanently.  (At the moment whenever I close the On-Access Scanner window, the WebShield sensitivity level reverts back to Normal.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 12:29:08 AM »
Interesting.  Very interesting indeed.  When I do as described above (i.e. setting WebShield at CUSTOM with my "normal" URL's entered under the Exceptions tab), Firefox 3.0.1 closes (according to Task Manager) in under ten seconds!!!  As opposed to around a minute previously...
Which is your firewall? Other security programs installed?

At the moment whenever I close the On-Access Scanner window, the WebShield sensitivity level reverts back to Normal.
If you don't change the sensitivity level, it will be back to Normal. No problems. Settings are kept anyway (exclusions, etc.).

Twinkletoes

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 12:32:02 AM »
...Did a short test with avast's shields down while continuously running and closing firefox in different scenarios.  I can confirm that there's a difference in responsiveness and speed with the shields down.

FWIW, my "rogue" machine has been running FF 3.0.1 on XP Home SP2, and now SP3 (no difference).

If you could find time to test your machine in the way I've just described, that would be great.  (BTW, I consider Firefox to be closed when it disappears from Task Manager's processes list.)

Twinkletoes

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »

Which is your firewall? Other security programs installed?

I've got a router, Sygate Personal Firewall (remember that?), and Windows Defender. 

...If you don't change the sensitivity level, it will be back to Normal. No problems. Settings are kept anyway (exclusions, etc.)

Uh-huh!!!  You sure?  If so, that's great.  How do I remove my customized settings if I really want to revert to Normal?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 12:52:24 AM »
I've got a router, Sygate Personal Firewall (remember that?), and Windows Defender.
Does the problem occur if you uninstall Sygate? Disable it? 

How do I remove my customized settings if I really want to revert to Normal?
Hmmm... you need to do it manually (removing customized URLs, etc.) and moving the slider to Normal (I suppose).

Twinkletoes

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 01:09:30 AM »

Does the problem occur if you uninstall Sygate? Disable it?

Disabling Sygate is no problem, but for the test to be meaningful I would presumably have to manually remove my customized URLs and set WebShield back to normal.  It's a bit late in the day for me to do that (especially on a Friday night!).  So far I have never seen Sygate mentioned anywhere in the "Firefox hanging" threads on the Mozilla forums...I've never had any trouble with it, but I suspect there are only a few persons left in the world still running it.  I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow and see if it appears to be particularly active with the flashing red signal at any time - it shouldn't be.

Hmmm... you need to do it manually... (removing customized URLs, etc.) and moving the slider to Normal (I suppose).
Noted.  Thanks.

boseith

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 07:27:41 AM »
I am running Firefox 3.5 on one of my xp machines and it took about 30-60 seconds to load and then about 30-60 seconds to finally exit.  After searching and searching I found this forum.  Web Shield was giving me problems.  Although I didn't find my fix her I did want to share it with anyone that is having the same problem.

Firefox 3.5
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection -> Click Settings.
Select Manual Proxy Configuration
In HTTP Proxy type in localhost and for the Port 12080

Now when I open or close Firefox it takes about 2-3 seconds.

I'm not sure why Firefox and Web Shield fight, but this seems to help them play better.

ace2701

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 07:44:11 AM »
See my sig for program versions.  So far, everything is running smoothly.
(Avast has 6 out of 7 providers running.. no outlook/exchange.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »
In HTTP Proxy type in localhost and for the Port 12080
If you open WebShield settings, is "Ignore local communication" option checked?
Is WebShield scanning your browsing activity?