Author Topic: avast home freezes during scan  (Read 3225 times)

BigD1953

avast home freezes during scan
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »
Hi, All looking for some help,I have used avast home andhaving trouble completing scan because program hangs on a certain program file on hd any help would be appreciated

BigD1953.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast home freezes during scan
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:49 AM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

BigD1953

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:59:17 AM »
Hi thanks for reply. It freezes @ 6% on same program folder (quicken) i have used avast for a long time on several machines and never a problem. I can scan other hd's and no problem. Can you do a system scan and bypass just one folder?

Thanks for any help  Bigd1953

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »
Can you do a system scan and bypass just one folder?
Yes... but it will be a workaround and not the solution of the problem...
You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For on-demand scanning:
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »
<snip>
I can scan other hd's and no problem.
Can you do a system scan and bypass just one folder?
<snip>

Whilst it is possible to exclude the folder, it isn't 100% certain that it is that folder where the problem is, only that that was the last folder scanned before the freeze.

If you do a folder select and only select that folder for scanning does it complete or using explorer, right click on that folder and select scan. Do these scans complete ?

What type of scan are you doing (Quick/Standard/Thorough) and with or without archives ?

Try a Standard scan without archives, which should be fine for most peoples needs unless you suspect an infection in which case a Thorough with archives.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security