Author Topic: I installed Avast but I can`t run it !!!  (Read 7287 times)

omid020

I installed Avast but I can`t run it !!!
« on: September 28, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi

I`m using avast about 1 year , today I downloaded new version but after installation for first time I received this error :

Please help me to run Avast correctly .

Thanks

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: I installed Avast but I can`t run it !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:51:09 PM »
today I downloaded new version

From where did you download avast? From the official site?
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

omid020

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 09:15:25 PM »
Did you try to install the new version over the top of the old one ?

It may be better to do a clean reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

omid020

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:46:45 AM »
I installed latest version on my fresh installation of XP .
1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
I did it several times but there is no difference .
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
To use aswclear I should go in safe mode , but when I want to load XP in safe mode my PC will reboot and doesn`t go in safe mode  :'(

Also some times a black transparent background appears in front of my screen that has one message with this content (Somedeal) : One programme is trying to close your protection module , are you proceed ?
And Has two choices : Yes , NO (with a countdown)

Please help me  :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:46:53 AM »
If you can disable the self-defence module (Program Settings, Troubleshooting) you should be able to run the aswclean.exe from normal mode. The black transparent screen could well be the avast self-defence at work.

However, failure to boot into safe mode could be malware related.

Also see:
How to restore Safe Boot.
The malware may have deleted the SafeBoot registry keys.
Here are some options to restore them:

http://didierstevens.wordpress.com/2006/06/26/restoring-safeboot/
http://didierstevens.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/restoring-safe-mode-with-a-reg-file/
Also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26554.msg216924#msg216924
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

omid020

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:23:39 PM »
Thanks David .
I prefer registry solution but unfortunately I can`t download .reg file from this page :
http://didierstevens.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/restoring-safe-mode-with-a-reg-file/

Could you please upload it on another server for me ?

Regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
Why can't it be downloaded ?
Clicking on the arrowed link should ask to download, or right click the link and select save as or save file as (depending on your browser).

Or try this one.

AVZ Restore Safe Boot - Download AVZ from here:
http://z-oleg.com/avz4.zip
Unzip the file and place it on your desktop.

Open the avz4 folder and doubleclick avz.exe to start the tool.
On top in the menu[/b], click File, System recovery and select Restore Safeboot Reg keys
Click the "Execute selected Operations" button below.

Close avz.exe.
Delete AVZ4.ZIP, and the AVZ4 folder.
Reboot and Test Safe Mode.

omid020

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »
Hi
Didier Stevens sent his registry fix file to me , so my safe mode problem is solved . I used aswclear and uninstalled Avast from safe mode . Then I loaded windows normally and installed latest version of Avast , but again I received same damn message :  :'(  :'(  :'(

I think something there is in my PC that doesn`t let avast to load correctly and also when I did boot-schedule cleaning after installation , Avast didn`t find anything  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »
Check the contents of this file, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\selfdef.log using notepad. This is where the avast self-defence module records infor on stuff trying to access avast files.

I believe this avast warning is the self-defence module at work, so it would be nice if we could find out what is trying to modify ashServ.exe ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
it would be nice if we could find out what is trying to modify ashServ.exe ?
I bet on Bagle/Beagle infection... Can you run a full avast scanning? Maybe at boot time?
If it does not work, maybe you should test on-line scanners (if you need suggestion, just let us know).
The best things in life are free.

omid020

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 04:30:31 PM »
Check the contents of this file, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\selfdef.log using notepad. This is where the avast self-defence module records infor on stuff trying to access avast files.

I believe this avast warning is the self-defence module at work, so it would be nice if we could find out what is trying to modify ashServ.exe ?

There is no selfdef.log in that root , there is only (Setup.txt) in that root .

@Tech
I can only run boot-schedule scan after installation restart . I don`t know how can run scanning from boot manually because I can`t run avast .

Note : After installation Avast , avast icon has Unknown mode :

when I click on it , windows can`t find ashAvast.exe .Also I can`t find it in related folder . maybe this help .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »
There is no selfdef.log in that root , there is only (Setup.txt) in that root .
Strange... seems infection...

I can only run boot-schedule scan after installation restart . I don`t know how can run scanning from boot manually because I can`t run avast .
Just run:
C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\sched.exe /A:"*" /archives
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »
I don't know if that will work as it looks like avast isn't getting to complete the installation, missing files, etc. but it won't hurt to try.

Try these tools to see if there is a hidden infection blocking the installation.
- Panda Rootkit Cleaner - http://research.pandasoftware.com/blogs/images/AntiRootkit.zip.
- Trend Micro RootkitBuster - http://www.trendmicro.com/download/rbuster.asp
- F-Secure Blacklight may not always be available, http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight