Author Topic: Cannot Update Avast Automatically or Manually.  (Read 32117 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Cannot Update Avast Automatically or Manually.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 04:00:25 AM »
Are there any known conflicts with other software that could cause a problem like this one?

Settings of:

1. Firewall
2. Proxy filter
3. Browser (scripts)

I bet on the first one...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

themadczar

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2004, 05:12:50 AM »
As I already said, I'm not running a firewall.  No proxy either.  As far as browswer scripts, don't know.  Can you give me an example?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 04:06:22 AM »
In Internet Explorer:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
Did you change any setting there?

On the Security and Privacy tabs, are all well configurated?
Sorry, I'm not the best one to solve 'connection' troubles. I have one in the past but the majority of the times they were related to those 3 poits I've posted before.  :-\

themadczar

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 06:02:43 AM »
Nope.  Didn't mess with those either.  As I said, one day it simply decided not to connect to the avast servers anymore.  This happened 2 times now, and both times I had to remove and reinstall avast to get it working again.  I sure don't understand it, but it sounds like a bug in avast to me (or a confict with other software).   All other internet applicaions including browser and email were working fine.  Oh, well.  I reinstalled so it is working now.  If it happens again, I'll post again.

jutpunjabi

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 05:22:01 PM »
HI ALL;

THE UNREGISTERED PROGRAM WILL ONLY UPDATE FOR 60 DAYS.

HAVE YOU REGISTERED YOUR COPY OF AVAST?
HAVE YOU PUT IN THE SERIAL NUMBER EMAILED TO YOU?

8)
JuttPunjabi.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 04:12:09 AM »
juttpunjabi, just a matter of 'protocol': please, avoid the CAPS... Seem you are yealing.
You're right, after 60 days, the user must register to update.  ;)

themadczar

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 05:43:19 AM »
That's not it either.  I registered right away and put the registration code in each time that I reinstall.  Maybe that is the glich though.  Perhaps it is accepting the registration code but not removing the upgrade limitation.  60 days sounds about right for the frequency of this issue.  I'll know better if/when it happens again since I posted here shortly after the problem started.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 08:14:10 AM »
It's not the license (almost sure). You'd get an 'invalid license' dialog...

What you might try, though: try updating avast from the Control Panel. I.e. go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Change, and there select avast antivirus. Push the button and you'll see a window with a couple of choices in it - one of which is 'Update'. Try using this -- it may work...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

themadczar

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 02:36:57 PM »
 :)  Tried that too.  When it was not functioning properly, after selecting "change" no options were available.  It simply said that the software had been updated (or whatever) and that was it.  It didn't actually do anything.  There has to be a glich in this version of avast, because while this problem was ocurring, I couldn't access the proxy settings, the "change" feature in the setup utility, or the manual update features.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2004, 05:04:08 PM »
:)  Tried that too.  When it was not functioning properly, after selecting "change" no options were available.  It simply said that the software had been updated (or whatever) and that was it.  It didn't actually do anything.  There has to be a glich in this version of avast, because while this problem was ocurring, I couldn't access the proxy settings, the "change" feature in the setup utility, or the manual update features.

If I'm not wrong, you cannot access the 'proxy settings' while using the setup utility (change, update, repair, etc.). You cannot reach it even you are manually updating the program/virus database. You must 'finish' or close the operation, go to proxy settings to change it and then start the operation again. Hope this help.

webwiz

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2004, 12:23:04 PM »
It's not the license (almost sure). You'd get an 'invalid license' dialog...

What you might try, though: try updating avast from the Control Panel. I.e. go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Change, and there select avast antivirus. Push the button and you'll see a window with a couple of choices in it - one of which is 'Update'. Try using this -- it may work...

Thanks
Vlk

:)Hi, I have been away for a few weeks and not able to check the forum or reply. However, I have read all the suggestions and tried the various remedies, but nothing works as yet.
My problem is alsmost identical to 'themadczar's problem, although I connect using a 56k modem and use Zone Alarm firewall software. I have used Zone Alarm from before installing Avast. My edition is the latest version and I cannot access proxy settings either, nor can I manually update.

However, this last suggestion gave me an interesting result. I accessed 'control panel' - 'Add/Remove Program' option and selected avast.
I received an error message, of which I have included a screenshot. Also there is no setup utility running that I can find.

greenfire

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2004, 07:06:38 PM »
Same problems here .. updates stopped on April 26, tried all the various suggestions so far.  There is no sign of activity when clicking the manual update buttons - no message window saying update took xx seconds to complete, etc.

program: 4.1.389  vps: 0418-0

When trying Add/Remove avast I get this error dialog box  "A setiface error has occurred:2 Try to reinstall or contact support, please"

And this is in the log file:

30.04.2004 12:31:11   BOX1\name   3332   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 00000002.  
30.04.2004 13:01:19   BOX1\name   1468   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 00000002.  
30.04.2004 13:01:23   BOX1\name   1468   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000426, dwRes is 00000002.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2004, 12:32:47 AM »
webwiz, did you really installed avast into that folder?
C:\Program~1\AlwilSof\Avast4

techie101

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2004, 06:21:06 AM »
tmc,

The only time I have heard of a problem similarto yours is when the user had a previous antivirus installed which was not properly removed.

The error did not show itself until a particular buld of Avast was installed.,  Why this happened?  Never found out.

What OS are you using?  Depending on OS, you can do an Avast Repair instead of a compete install.

Review the Log Viewer contents by right clicking on the A ball in the tray.

Look over each category for errors.

Another file you can look at is the Avast setup log which you will find in the Avast Data folder.

Techie

Raven1

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2004, 12:19:18 AM »
I just had the same problem w/updating. I fixed it by going to avast! Update(basic),  proxy settings,  check the auto 'use internet explorer defaults', hit the 'check connection' button, and update  again. Seems to have worked. Hope this helps. ::)