Author Topic: Cannot Update Avast Automatically or Manually.  (Read 32193 times)

greenfire

Re:Cannot Update Avast Automatically or Manually.
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2004, 02:47:19 AM »
When I click the proxy settings nothing happens, no pushed button image - no new dialog box.  Any option to update the connection settings/update vps or update the program itself just dont work.  But all the other options do. Very strange.  

greenfire

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2004, 04:45:21 AM »
All fixed, dug around some in the forums and found the renaming *.ovr to *.dll fix - didn't work for me.  Had to do option #2 - reinstall of the newest version of the program .

Would still like to know why it happens though

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2004, 04:19:15 AM »
When I click the proxy settings nothing happens, no pushed button image - no new dialog box.

This specific problems occurs when you try to access the proxy settings while you are updating... You can't do this at that time. Finish the manual update process to change the proxy settings. If you use a proxy filter, will be better if you manually fill that properties then use the 'automatic' detection.

Hope this help.
The best things in life are free.

themadczar

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2004, 05:47:34 AM »
Here we go again.  2 months after I last had this problem (I checked the dates of my last post about this), the auto update is failing again.  If there is no permanent solution to this problem, then I'm going to have to switch to a different antivirus software.  I'm not going to uninstall and reinstall Avast every 2 months to keep it working properly.  Anyone have any ideas for me here?  I am running XP pro, no firewall, and I haven't changed any settings recently.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2004, 12:22:59 AM »
If there is no permanent solution to this problem, then I'm going to have to switch to a different antivirus software.

Well, for the majority of the users there isn't any trouble and you say that your is 'permanent'  ???

If you post more and try to describe your problem we will be here trying to help you...

themadczar

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2004, 12:33:44 AM »
OK.  Here is the problem.  Every 2 months (perhaps exactly 2 months) the update feature fails.  Cannot update automatically or manually.  So far, after trying everything suggested in response to my posts 2 months ago, the only thing that has fixed the problem is to remove and reinstall avast.  And that only seems to fix the problem until another 2 months go by.  What other information do you need?  I will tell you anything you want to know about my system or settings, but I don't know what you need to know.  I can tell you that this it is not related to my internet connection or connection settings.  The problem is something with avast itself or a conflict with another program (and as to the latter, there should not be any conflicts with existing software that manifest every 2 months until reinstalling avast.)

techie101

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2004, 04:43:02 AM »
themadczar,

Would you please send me the Avast setup.log found in the Avast folder/Avast/Data.
Advise me of a date that your tried to update and it failed, or attempt an update prior to sending the log.

Also, look into the log viewer to see if any error message or critical error has been logged.

Send log via IM.  I will look it over.  I don't think anyone has asked to see it here yet.

Techie
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 04:43:48 AM by Techie101 »

themadczar

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2004, 05:12:25 AM »
I would be glad to.  As a matter of fact, I just tried to do so.  Unfortunately, when I hit send, I get a "page cannot be displayed" message.  If you have another means or if the im begins working again, I'll get it to you.

Jazhawk

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2004, 03:02:03 PM »
I'm having the same problem as you themadczar.  Recently I'm getting update errors all of a sudden.  Never had this problem before but now I do.  I've checked my settings as was suggested and found that neither dialup or perm connection was checked.  Not sure how it became unchecked but I checked perm connection this morning.  

I'll let you know if the problem goes away.

-Jazhawk

techie101

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
It is hard sometimes to pinpoint the cause of a problem.
In a computer, when one of those tiny bits and bytes gets lost or corrupted, things go awry.

At times, the best we can do to correct the situation is replace a file, or reinstall.

If a way can be found to reproduce the problem consistently then we can come up with some kind of long term fix.

I will do my best.  When more information is gained as to what might be causing the problem, the Avast Team will be informed, and hopefully a fix in the next version.

Techie

Jazhawk

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2004, 04:45:36 PM »
Techie

If it helps, the message I get says something about the server being down.  Seems it's been down for at least a week.  I'll see if I can get some better information and post it.

-Jazhawk

techie101

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2004, 04:58:59 PM »
Jaz,

Server down message usually indicates that a connection between Avast and the Avast server could not be made.

This can be caused by a number of factors:
Server busy
Connection lost or interrupted
Connection blocked (Firewall or Proxy filter)
Setup file corrupted

If you are using a firewall or proxy filter,let me know.
Also, turn off all popup blockers and cookie filters.....then retry.

For those using Windows XP, remember that it has an internal firewall which can interfere (although it should not). Turn it off and retry.

Have you tried an Avast repair yet?
Is this the first time you noticed the problem?
Ever attempted a new install of Avast? (not that I am recommending it at this point.....just want to know)

Techie

Jazhawk

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2004, 05:04:32 PM »
Jaz,

Server down message usually indicates that a connection between Avast and the Avast server could not be made.

This can be caused by a number of factors:
Server busy
Connection lost or interrupted
Connection blocked (Firewall or Proxy filter)
Setup file corrupted

If you are using a firewall or proxy filter,let me know.
Also, turn off all popup blockers and cookie filters.....then retry.

For those using Windows XP, remember that it has an internal firewall which can interfere (although it should not). Turn it off and retry.

Have you tried an Avast repair yet?
Is this the first time you noticed the problem?
Ever attempted a new install of Avast? (not that I am recommending it at this point.....just want to know)

Techie

I have not tried Avast repair and yes it is the first time this has happened.

-Jazhawk

luigi

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2004, 10:51:47 PM »
I have the same problem:

"Cannot connect to download11.avast.com:80" (the number varies). Never had this problem before but in the last 2 weeks it has always appeared.
However, i could update both the program and avs by right-clicking the avast ball on the systray.
I have cable modem and the "always on the net" option is unchecked.
I use Zone Alarm.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2004, 02:19:59 AM »
Luigi, can you delay your automatic update with the value  AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60 into avast4.ini file.

See 'Settings' on my signature.