Author Topic: secure vs. unsecure network connection  (Read 10733 times)

stilton

secure vs. unsecure network connection
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
This is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between a secure connection and an unsecure connection? I mean, I know it has something to do with if it's unsecure, other people may be able to use the same internet connection you're using, right? I have cable internet and my closest neighbor is pretty far away, so does that mean it's ok to have an unsecure connection? If you think I should make my connection secure, how would I go about doing that? It's weird because it always told me that my connection was secure before, but it has been unsecure for the past few weeks. ??? Thank you for any suggestions.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: secure vs. unsecure network connection
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »
This article should prove salutary; it contains a link to information on how to secure a wireless network.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/09/wiglenet_the_411_on_wireless_a.html
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

timcan

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »
if it's unsecure, other people may be able to use the same internet connection you're using, right? 

Most certainly! I wouldn't want someone using my IP to surf/download/send child p0rn ect,.

roro

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:43:15 PM »
Stilton,
You definitely want a secure connection.  Even with no one living close to you surfing someone can just park close by and use your broadband wireless connection.  Do you have a wireless connection with a router to your cable modem?  If your are just connected by a cable and not a  wireless router than I don't think a secure connection is necessary.
With a secure connection you have to insert a code that you have chosen and then your computer can connect up.  No code, no security.  You can have your computer save the code so you only have to do that once.

Ro Ro  8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:45:51 PM by roro »