Author Topic: disabling:  (Read 2021 times)

Vital Spark

disabling:
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
First time here: hello.

Okay, to most of you this will expose me as the ignoramous I am when it comes to computers   :-[ but I'll remain so if I try to hide it, so here goes.

I'm, I believe,  :-\ downloading an upgrade for Windows Internet Explorer 7.  It's suggested that I disable all antivirus and such but I don't know how to disable without uninstalling.  If I do that, I'll have to go through the trauma (yes, I do mean TRAUMA) of finding it again and re-installing  :'(.

I did indicate that I'm useless in this field but really I'm just, like Einstein (well, not exactly), dyselxic.

Can anyone direct me, PLEEEEEEEASE?

Actually,  :-\ what does PDA stand for?  I'm probably in the  altogether wrong forum   ::)  :-[.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:20:40 PM by Vital Spark »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: disabling:
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
Disabling the antivirus when installing new programs is not only unnecessary, it is probably even completely wrong advice. You need the antivirus most when you are installing new programs onto your harddrive. It will help you prevent installing malware (virus) that you mistakely downloaded instead of the real program.

You may safely ignore this advice, Internet Explorer 7 Update installs just fine with avast! running. (as pretty much every program should).

In case you would really need it, you can right click the (a) icon in the tray (where you clocks are) and choose "Stop On-Access protection", but don't do this when installing new programs, especially when you are not 1000% sure they are from trusted source (and you can hardly ever be sure).

The PDA stands for Personal Digital Assistent, palm or iPaq of whatever else, certainly not your PC. Never mind, perhaps the moderator might move this topic to the "avast4 Home/Pro" forum.

Cheers,
Lukas.