Author Topic: OneCare??? (and other questions!)  (Read 1789 times)

stilton

OneCare??? (and other questions!)
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »
I've only posted a few times here about a previous problem I had with avast, and someone replied so fast and helped fix the problem for me. So I've come back yet again with another problem!

Like I said when I was here before, I'm kinda dumb when it comes to this stuff. So I'm very thankful for people like you guys here! ;)

I got a new Sony VAIO a few days ago and turned it on for the first time yesterday. This is my first experience with Windows Vista and I don't think I like it (but that may have more to do with the fact that I hate change than Vista not being good :P). I hate how there's always so much "stuff" already installed on new computers that I don't need/want. One of those things is this OneCare nonsense. I had never heard of it before, but I don't want it. At least I don't think I want it? I searched for posts about OneCare on here and it looks like most people are against it, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, I know for sure that it is indeed installed on my laptop because when I go to the "uninstall programs" page, it's on the list. But apparently I'm not subscribed and would have to pay to become a subscriber. I'd think that if I didn't have a subscription, OneCare wouldn't be doing anything. But it does seem to be doing things. It's saying how it is scanning for viruses and whatnot.

I know you're not supposed to have 2 anti-virus programs on your computer, so I should totally uninstall OneCare if I want to use avast, right? I've been using avast for about a year now on my older laptop and I love it. I'm just wondering...is it safe to not use OneCare with Vista? Does Vista not work well with avast? Should I forget about avast and pay for a subscription for OneCare? If I do uninstall OneCare, I should do that before I install avast, right? I'm also planning on installing a spyware program.

Also, the firewall should always be turned on, right? Will I lose the firewall if I uninstall OneCare? I have the same question about Windows Defender (I don't really understand what that is). I don't know what comes with OneCare and what doesn't.

One more thing. In the Windows Security Center, the Malware Protect's status is "out of date," and the Virus Protect and Spyware are "off." Is that how I should keep those settings if I have my own anti-virus (avast) and spyware?

Oh, and since you've already gotten through this novel of a post, I might as well ask one more thing...what are your recommendations for good spyware programs? I've been using SUPERAntiSpyware and it seems to work well, but I'm always up for other suggestions.

Ok, I think I'm done. I'm really sorry this is so long...I'm just totally overwhelmed with all these different things on my new computer. I would very much appreciate any replies to this, even just answering one of my questions. Thank you for reading!  :)

Texas-Hansen

Re: OneCare??? (and other questions!)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
Lots of good questions.

Vista and Avast work very well together.

One Care is an add-on AV program by Microsoft and can be used on most Microsoft OS platforms (XP, Vista, etc.).  You can remove it and it will not have any negative effect on Vista or other.  I would recommend downloading Avast into a folder on your desktop. Disconnect from the internet.  Then remove One Care and any other AV programs that came on the system.  Reboot.  Install Avast from the folder you downloaded it into.  Reconnect to internet and you're good to go from there. 

Yes, you do want your firewall turned on.  I use the Windows built-in firewall and it works great.  I also have a hardware firewall in the router.  Others like to use 3rd party firewalls.  There are arguments for and against.  Vista is pretty good on security so I do not think a 3rd party one is necessary.  Just prudent internet surfing habits, a good AV program (Avast) and the built-in firewall work very well for me. 

Once you install Avast, the Vista security center will show Avast as the AV program and show it's up to date, etc.

As for separate spyware program...I rely on the one built into Avast.  Others use Spybot S&D, Spyware Terminator, Superantispyware, MBAM.  They're all very good programs and work well in conjunction with Vista as a general rule (some don't work perfect under Vista 64bit but work good enough...they'll eventually work out their issues to make them work properly under 64 bit platforms).

Good luck, and I think you'll find that the more you use Vista you'll see it's a really great operating system.  I have a spare XP laptop and when I use it, I see how great Vista works.  I was so reluctant to go over to Vista (that I almost didn't) but am now so glad I did it.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:38:42 PM by Texas-Hansen »

ardvark

Re: OneCare??? (and other questions!)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:55 AM »
Hi...

SpywareBlaster is another good program to have on hand... :)

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Best Regards...