Author Topic: New version prevents installation of some programs  (Read 4432 times)

wthess

New version prevents installation of some programs
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:39:59 AM »
Ok, here's the situation. I've been using Avast for years, with never a problem until I needed to install well known programs such as Paperport and Omnipage, which require the virus scanner to be shut down.

My old PC crashed, and I bought a new one. I put the new version of Avast on the new computer, and now I'm unable to install Paperport or Omnipage because they insist I kill Avast, and I cannot continue the install untill ashdisp is dead. I'm certain that 2 other programs I have from the same vendor will also not install because of Avast. I've even tried disabling the self defense module which still does not allow me to kill ashdisp.

What Avast is calling a feature is nothing more than a bug in this instance. I mean it's nice when your AV stops malicious programs from automatically installing on your hd, but when it stops you from installing legitimate software, it's gone way too far.

Just an FYI...

Running Vista, latest version of Avast, new PC out of the box. Very frustrated and need answers. I've always liked Avast and would hate to move on.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: New version prevents installation of some programs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
Ever thought the actual program originates from those stupid programs or shall i say their stupid developers?
Disabling antivirus because some software says you should, kinda defeats the purpose of antivirus so never do that.
In like 10 years of extensive antivirus usage and testing i NEVER disabled ANY antivirus during software installs (and i tried like nearly all of them).
And there is no need to do that if you ask me. Not during system updates, service packs, VGA and motherboard BIOS updates (from Windows), regular program updates or installs. Never. Antiviruses just scan files and self-defense doesn't interfer with programs.
Unless they use some lame tricks to hook into system, in which case i suggest you avoid such programs.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

wthess

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »
And I would tend to agree. Why a programmer would want to disable virus protection to install is simply beyond me. However, there's lots of software out there that do just that and most of it costs hundreds of dollars. The higher end it is, the more likely it wants to disable av and spyware programs before installation.

In previous versions of Avast, I was able to get around the problem. However, this version is preventing me from installing about $500 worth of programs. A workaround would be nice. I can talk politics with the best of 'em, but unfortunately I'm unable to use my computer until I 1) have a workaround or 2)uninstall Avast and head back to AVG, or God forbid...Norton...ughh. I would prefer to stick with Avast.

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:01:46 AM »

but unfortunately I'm unable to use my computer until I 1) have a workaround or 2)uninstall Avast and head back to AVG, or God forbid...Norton...ughh. I would prefer to stick with Avast.

If these program do not want avast running during installation, they are not going to want any other av running neither. Changing av programs will not cure the problem.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:03:39 AM by CharleyO »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
Tell me if I've not fully grasped something.  ??? 

Can't you uninstall avast!, install all the protesting programs, then reinstall avast?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
Personally I wouldn't disable my AV either to install a program that is when it really is needed most, what are they doing that is a) so strange than an AV might baulk at it, b) what are they trying to hide.

I don't know what you have tried to disable avast, but there are options that the self-defence module won't stop you doing.

What is wrong with right click the avast 'a' icon, select Stop On-Access Protection ?
Or right click the avast 'a' icon, select Stop Provider and select Standard Shield ?
Or right click the avast 'a' icon, select Pause Provider and select Standard Shield ?

None of the above will be stopped by the self-defence module as they are user initiated, try killing a process from task manager or a service and that is a totally different ball game.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wthess

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »
Vladimyr - That is one option, but I really have no desire to do that every time I want to install a program that demands the virus scanner be shut down. A lot of high end programs and a few low end ones force you to shut down virus and/or spyware protection. Some will do it for you, while others require you to do it manually. However, I did uninstall it and install the other programs and will reinstall it when I'm finished. However, I have no desire to do this whenever I need to install a program or update it.

CharleyO - I respectfully disagree. Other virus programs will allow me to shut them down either through services, or by killing the processes. Avast did so in the past. I have a program that can be configured to do this temporarily then restart everything once it is complete. The name of that program is AlacrityPC. It is used primarily by gamers, but I use it whenever I need to install pesky programs that insist on shutting everything down, for troubleshooting, or when I need memory for video/image editing. However, it generates an error message whenever it tries to shut down ashDisp.exe.

Personally I wouldn't disable my AV either to install a program that is when it really is needed most, what are they doing that is a) so strange than an AV might baulk at it, b) what are they trying to hide.

I don't know what you have tried to disable avast, but there are options that the self-defence module won't stop you doing.

What is wrong with right click the avast 'a' icon, select Stop On-Access Protection ?
Or right click the avast 'a' icon, select Stop Provider and select Standard Shield ?
Or right click the avast 'a' icon, select Pause Provider and select Standard Shield ?

None of the above will be stopped by the self-defence module as they are user initiated, try killing a process from task manager or a service and that is a totally different ball game.

DavidR - The AV isn't balking at the program. The installer wants me to shut it down. I'm able to shut down all other avast services except for ashDisp.exe, even after disabling the self defence mode in troubleshooting.

I don't think they are trying to hide anything...
Paperport 11 by Nuance - Very popular and well known company and program. This one forces you to kill processes yourself.

Omnipage 16 by Nuance - The #1 selling OCR package hands down. This one protests and tries to kill them for you, but no go.

Dragon Naturally Speaking by Nuance - The #1 selling speech recognition program. Not sure what this one does. Only tried it once, it protested, and I exited the installer.

Note: Most of these are by Nuance, but there are others I use from other companies that protest too. I haven't gotten around to installing them yet, but will post updates here as I install them.

Also, before I even posted my problem here, I had tried stopping the providers. Those weren't the issue though. The issue is ashdisp.exe will not die.

I just tried on another PC an it lets me kill ashdisp.exe fine once I disable self defence, but that's on an XP platform. This new laptop is on Vista, so I'm wondering if the issue has something to do with Avast on Vista. Since my other 7 machines are XP or Linux, and yes...one DOS machine, this laptop is the first Vista machine I have. Therefore I currently have no way of testing on another Vista machine.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 07:29:35 PM »
The ashDisp.exe isn't part of the anti-virus defence, it is just the GUI interface between the various shields/providers and the program settings.

You really shouldn't have to go to that depth and I doubt that the installer would even notice it. I would certainly question the need to do this, it is so old school.

Dragon Naturally Speaking it a voice to text converter, I don't know if it goes in the other direction.

I had both TextBridge (came with my flatbed scanner) and ABBYY Fine Reader Pro, both good OCR packages and neither of those insisted or even suggested disabling the anti-virus.

Sorry I don't use Vista, but there is no issue such as you mention as far as I'm aware (certainly not reported in the forums).

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »

Vladimyr - That is one option, but I really have no desire to do that every time I want to install a program that demands the virus scanner be shut down. A lot of high end programs and a few low end ones force you to shut down virus and/or spyware protection. Some will do it for you, while others require you to do it manually. However, I did uninstall it and install the other programs and will reinstall it when I'm finished. However, I have no desire to do this whenever I need to install a program or update it.

CharleyO - I respectfully disagree. Other virus programs will allow me to shut them down either through services, or by killing the processes. Avast did so in the past. I have a program that can be configured to do this temporarily then restart everything once it is complete. The name of that program is AlacrityPC. It is used primarily by gamers, but I use it whenever I need to install pesky programs that insist on shutting everything down, for troubleshooting, or when I need memory for video/image editing. However, it generates an error message whenever it tries to shut down ashDisp.exe.
You are welcome to disagree, but, you seem to be contradicting yourself in the above statement.

Are you saying you are willing to stop services in other av's but not willing to stop the services in avast?

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean? 

How often do you expect to have to load such programs that require that you completely shutdown your av service that this is a concern to you? Like David and many others here, I never shutdown avast to install any programs.

As far as i know, ashDusp.exe should cause no interference with installing any program.