Author Topic: Scanning results in <unable to scan files> ?  (Read 13246 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Scanning results in <unable to scan files> ?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 12:56:46 AM »
yup, every single file is unable to be scanned... which is why im thinking its Vista not letting avast access my files  :-\
Where? Which path are you trying to scan?
Did you try to scan your own user folder (My Documents for instance).
The best things in life are free.

Gaminggod4lfe

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 08:30:53 AM »
woa think you might have just figured it out :P if i go and just do a scan of local disks than it comes up as unable to scan, but if i specifically select a folder, like My Documents, it scans it no problem :D so i guess the question is now...why can't i scan C:?

btw the pic below is the results i got when i did a thorough scan of C:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »
why can't i scan C:?
You can...
Vista uses circular links to %Program Files% and %Users% folders.
Avast is just reporting it. You can uncheck the options for reporting soft and hard errors on the avast settings.
It was a problem, already solved (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27330.msg223192#msg223192). Now, the only thing that rests is the reporting.

Gaminggod4lfe

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 06:38:16 AM »
Ok so atleast i kno nothings wrong (thanks :D) but like wat does all that mean in lamemens terms? you mean Avast is reporting the way vista links the folders together as an error basically? sorry im abit slow with all this technical stuff :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
you mean Avast is reporting the way vista links the folders together as an error basically?
No, avast is just reporting that folders weren't scanned, in fact, not the folders themselves (they were scanned), but the links to them. Nothing to worry about.

Gaminggod4lfe

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 06:37:05 AM »
ah alright excellent  :D thanks so much, it really put my mind at ease :)

tkdavis59

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »
i have the same problem. i installed avast 4.8 last week and haven't had a problem with the scans until today. after todays scan it has come up with a long list of files that it says can't be scanned... 'unable to scan: archive is password protected.' at the bottom of the window it says 1,061 files. all the files listed are in my spybot search and destroy/recovery folder. is this going to happen every time i run a scan now? what do i do to fix this? its never done it until today and i've had spybot longer than i've had avast so i don't know why it hasn't done it before. on the options of what to do with the files that can't be scanned, when i click on each one to scan from the list it says 'an error has occured during the processing.'

my os is windows xp and besides spybot i also have zone alarm, spywareblaster, malwarebytes anti malware, and ccleaner.
i'm posting a screenshot so you can see the file names. also a link to it in my photobucket where, if you click on it there it will zoom in on it and will be able to see the file names alot better.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm3/kathryn1959/avastscreenshot.jpg

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
Do some house keeping and clear out old quarantine items (more than 3-4 weeks old) from spybot S&D as my first reply to this topic suggests.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tkdavis59

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 07:41:26 PM »
Do some house keeping and clear out old quarantine items (more than 3-4 weeks old) from spybot S&D as my first reply to this topic suggests.

yeah thats what the problem was. i wasn't sure which folder the old quarantined items were in but i found it. cleaned it out and its good to go now ;D thank you for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

A belated welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zammer

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »
I've read the posts, but they haven't helped. I used to get perhaps a dozen or two "unable to scan." I now get 200, or more. Am I correct that this can't be right?
Windows XP Media Center
I also cannot recall the scan results screen once I've closed the scanner. An earlier post says that happens with the free program, but I have paid 4.8 Home.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 10:28:20 PM »
Well if you have read the posts, then you should have read that avast tells you why it can't be scanned and we ask for some common examples of the reason given, the file name and its location.

Without this information we simply can't say if it is right or not, so we need information to be able to help. You may need to expand the columns as I mention in Reply #5 of this topic.

The Home version doesn't retain scan stats after you close the Simple User Interface they are gone (the pro version retains scan stats). So to get the information we need to help you would have to run the scan again.