Author Topic: Scanning results in <unable to scan files> ?  (Read 13248 times)

melody828

Scanning results in <unable to scan files> ?
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
hi, I am new to this forum, so hello there,  but I have a question about the results after virus scanning with Avast Pro as it seems when Avast scans all my computer files etc.  they are not assessable, with the scan result showing <  unable to scan file/s. >

I'm not sure what to configure here so can you please help  me with some advice?

My other security software is Spyware Doctor [no problem there, scans all my files];  Zone Alarm and Registry Booster.

Thanks for your advice!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scanning results in <unable to scan files> ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »
You don't give any examples of what can't be scanned and why ?

I doubt this is for 'all' your files.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text. If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

melody828

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 03:32:46 PM »
David.......thanks for the info, I will look into it further and if need be, get back to you..
melody828

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Some examples would be very helpful.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Cammo20

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 04:15:23 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm experiencing a similar issue with Unable to Scan.

After a Scan, it will report not being able to scan everything from my Start Menu to My Documents, Music, Pictures etc.

I am able to expand the window, however it does not allow me to see the reason; it simply says 'Unable to scan:t...'

I'm running Windows VistaHome Premium, 2GB RAM, with a DuoCore Processor

I'm using Avast 4.8 Home Edition version

The Avast On-Access Scanner works as it detected a virus a couple of weeks ago i dealt with the virus as ti instructed).

I have done the following to try and fix the problem:

clicked 'Repair' in control panel.
Uninstalled/Reinstalled the program.
Right-clicked and Run as Administrator (even though i am Administrator).
Scanned with Scan Archive Files turned off.
Selected all boxes in the 'Scan Additional Areas'.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated as i am unsure of what else to do to try and fix the problem.

Kind regards,

Cammo20 :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
You need to expand the column width, hover the mouse over the column header (separator), left click on the mouse and hlod it whilst dragging the separator to the right. This should work in most windows applications to expand the column width.

Cammo20

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:17:08 PM »
hey,

expanded the widnow, it said: Unable to Scan: The system cannot find the specified path.

I also use SPyware search and destroy.

Any suggestions as to causes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help:D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »
I take it that you mean spybot search & destroy ?

First I'm using XP Pro and not Vista so there will be differences, XP uses Documents and Settings\All Users and things hang off that folder. Where Vista would appear to use Users\Default, etc.

The folders you mention in your first post are special in that they are references that redirect to the actual folder on the HDD, now I can't read the actual locations in the image. I also don't know if they might be hidden to users other than the owner.

However, due to my total lack of Vista experience I can't see why they should be reported as couldn't be found. In XP if they were Hidden folders I could see that (excuse the pun) may have an impact but I would just unhide system files and folders, etc.

But then I can't understand how it can recognise there is a folder there yet can't find the specified path, unless this is to do with the special folder status and being directed to the HDD location. Are you actually able to navigate to these locations in explorer and are they hidden, etc. ?

Hopefully someone using Vista can pick this up as I'm speculating on what the problem might be.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 11:02:21 PM »
Vista uses circular links to %Program Files% and %Users% folders.
Avast is just reporting it. You can uncheck the options for reporting soft and hard errors on the avast settings.
It was a problem, already solved (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27330.msg223192#msg223192). Now, the only thing that rests is the reporting.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »
I don't know if the option not to report soft (off by default) and hard (not sure if you would want to disable that anyway) errors works for the log of files unable to be scanned after an on-demand scan. These options are related to the creation of a report file rather than what we see after an on-demand scan.

Also the link you gave dates from March 2008 and mentions that the problem had been found and corrected for the next beta, which has been and gone. However, that link also relates to boot-time scan under Vista and this isn't related to a boot-time scan, so we haven't pinned down the cause or the resolution (I don't think).

Cammo20

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 05:53:25 AM »
Hllo,

I apologise for the confusion; i am using Spyware Doctor (Apologise for the mixu)

If anyone is using VIsta with Avast, please let me know.

will investigate further into this matter

kind regards, and thankyou for ur assistance so far.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
If anyone is using VIsta with Avast, please let me know.
I am... I've posted before the reason... You don't need to worry about that files.

Gaminggod4lfe

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »
Hey all, im new to the forums aswell and have been having the same problem....im running Vista x64 and whenever i run a scan every single file that it "scans" comes back as "Unable to scan blah blah blah" (same as above)...i only run Windows Firewall and still had the same problem even after disabling it :(  my guess is that windows isn't allowing avast to access these files. Any ideas on how to fix this would be much appriciated :D

BTW: im pretty sure its not a problem with my avast because its detected multiple viruses so im leaning more towards it being Vista and its over the top security D:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 11:46:11 PM »
whenever i run a scan every single file that it "scans" comes back as "Unable to scan blah blah blah" (same as above)...
Can't you scan "any" file in your computer? Every single one is "unable to be scanned"?

Gaminggod4lfe

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 12:51:00 AM »
yup, every single file is unable to be scanned... which is why im thinking its Vista not letting avast access my files  :-\
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:52:37 AM by Gaminggod4lfe »