Author Topic: avast's virus chest (..or should that be pandora's box) ;D  (Read 8225 times)

zebedee

avast's virus chest (..or should that be pandora's box) ;D
« on: October 03, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
hi folks
can I delete infected files (mchinjdrv.sys) from the treasure chest shown there under 'original location' as C win sys 32 drivers ? or would that just ruin everything on my pc? see attached print screen if necessary
thanks
novice

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Re: avast's virus chest (..or should that be pandora's box) ;D
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »
Hey zebedee , welcome to Avast! Support Forum .

For the moment just leave mchinjdrv.sys in the chest , it's that simple .

For more info What to do with files in Chest?

If you have any problems please write back in this thread ,
Cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
or would that just ruin everything on my pc?
If they're into Chest they were already removed from your computer.
You can right click them, rescan and if they're infected you can delete them ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
Apart from what you have been told by the others, I see other things/questions.

Firstly you have multiple copies of that file in the chest so this was a recurring problem for a while. So we may have to do other things.

Though the dates are concatenated I can only see the day not the month or year, so assuming that these are recent then the 16th, 18th and 19th of last month is that correct (or is it from earlier than that) ?

If it is from last month or earlier it looks like the recurrence has stopped and you can scan within the chest and delete if infected as Tech suggests, but it may be worthwhile doing some other scans.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.

2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware freeware version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security