Author Topic: "My Documents" keep opening after every boot /logon  (Read 10846 times)

tortojed

"My Documents" keep opening after every boot /logon
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »
After I installed 4.8 on an XP SP3, upon every boot (or log off/log on again) the folder "user\My documents" is opened as if the Explorer.exe is "clicked" after the boot. I checked "startup" items and tried gradually to remove item by item but it didn't help. Guest mode is off (there is only Administrator account set). Any suggestion?

ronnycopeh

Re: "My Documents" keep opening after every boot /logon
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
I had that problem so time ago, its can be frustrating, please check out my post here to resolve
http://infoave.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=28298&st=0&p=316033&#entry316033

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:58:44 PM »
If Ronny's link doesn't resolve your problem.

Since you installed avast have you had occasion to move any files to the chest or delete them ?

If so it is entirely possible that there is still a registry entry trying to run that file on boot, this can cause the explorer window to open in the folder where the missing file would have been.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
I have the same problem on one PC after innstalling SP3,  on all 5 youser accounts( Norman Security Suite ) so it cant be a Avast problem but Windows / SP3 i think

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 04:23:23 PM »
so it cant be a Avast problem
I'm sure that opening My Documents on every boot/logon is NOT an avast problem, on contrary, avast could be part of the solution.
The best things in life are free.

tortojed

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 04:42:50 AM »
If Ronny's link doesn't resolve your problem.

Since you installed avast have you had occasion to move any files to the chest or delete them ?

If so it is entirely possible that there is still a registry entry trying to run that file on boot, this can cause the explorer window to open in the folder where the missing file would have been.
Yes, I deleted (avast! deleted) a worm called "diss.exe" (part of the bndmss malware) which was found in user name\my documents. But, it had been done during the boot up and now there aren't any files in "chest". ???

tortojed

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 04:49:10 AM »
I had that problem so time ago, its can be frustrating, please check out my post here to resolve
http://infoave.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=28298&st=0&p=316033&#entry316033

Thanx ronny! It helped. I don't like reggae - I love it-a.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:51:40 AM by tortojed »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 02:26:14 PM »
<snip>
Yes, I deleted (avast! deleted) a worm called "diss.exe" (part of the bndmss malware) which was found in user name\my documents. But, it had been done during the boot up and now there aren't any files in "chest". ???

Yes that could be a possible cause as it was in the folder that is being displayed. Although the file might have been deleted there could still be a run command in the registry trying to run the non-existent file that could be why the folder is opening.

If you opted for deletion there wouldn't be a file in the chest, you have to select send to chest for it to be moved to the Infected Files section of the chest. This is by far the best option, 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate. Deletion isn't really a good first option, you have none left.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tortojed

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 06:08:25 PM »
Thank you, David.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 07:43:27 PM »
You're welcome.

Has the problem now been cleared up ?

Jima

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 09:39:24 PM »
Perhaps as long as a year ago I had a serious change in the way my IE connection functioned.   I eventually learned what had to be used and what couldn't, e.g. having to connect to my ISP through the Start menu.
I figured the whole works would probably soon crash and I would need to re-install Windows or get a new computer.
Then one day a few months ago, upon booting "My Documents" came up first and everything that had been screwed up went back to normal!!
It may be somewhat slower to boot this way, but I am really reluctant to try and "fix" it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 10:43:09 PM »
Most of this cases (Windows Explorer being opened in a particular folder on boot) should be solved by HijackThis or Autoruns, shouldn't they?
The best things in life are free.