Author Topic: Why  (Read 8610 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Why
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 10:52:56 PM »
Thanks again for your help!!!!   :) :) :)
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 12:30:41 AM »
Thanks for the info!!!!!
I have it set on ASK but I have never seen it work yet.
Also, what time should it be set on to check for updates????
Currently auto update is set to check every 240 minutes.

You're welcome.

Ask, checks for updates and if there is one it will pop-up a notification in the bottom right of your screen that an update is available. It really is better set to Auto, Ask as I have said doesn't restrict CPU usage so is more likely to slow other processes for a short time.

The Program updates are a different matter and they are set to Ask but default as they are likely to be much larger.

It really is best left at the default settings (like for most things as it provides the best balance between performance and protection), so based on the frequency of VPS updates commonly daily and occasionally more than one in the day, increasing the frequency of checking doesn't really provide a better level of protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

grog4444

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
Sorry, but I have one other question. I had it setup to ask me when an update is available but I didn't tell my brother. He saw the message popup but didn't click on it because I forgot to tell him. Will it remind you again???? When I got home from work I checked for updates to get the one I missed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »
No it won't remind you until the next time it checks for an update, which is another good reason to leave it on the default Auto update setting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »
When I got home from work I checked for updates to get the one I missed.
The updates are incremental, if you miss one, when updating you'll receive everything it's needed to use the latest version. In other words, no problem if you miss one update, next will correct everything and bring your installation up-to-date.
The best things in life are free.

grog4444

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 07:25:05 PM »
Thanks again everyone for your help!!!!
Its greatly appreciated!!!!

grog4444

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »
Sorry!!!! I have another question.
When I right click on the AVAST symbol in the toolbar and look under updates it shows iAVS UPDATE and
PROGRAM UPDATE. If I manually have to update for some reason do I have to click on both????

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 11:10:40 PM »
If you're going after an update that you might have missed you needn't click on both; just the 'iAVS' will do...

For the record, I'm also on dial-up and I set mine to check every 120 minutes...  There is no slowdown of my system when updates are available or being installed...  This is heaven compared to that other product, I shan't mention AVG, that I used to use... 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 11:16:52 PM »
No you don't a) leave the avast Update (Basic) settings as they are, the default setting is to auto update the virus signatures VPS (a.k.a iAVS) so there should be no need to use the manual process though it is there if you happen to have changed the default settings.

I would leave the default delay set to 240 minutes there really is no advantage in reducing that, as commonly there is only one update per day, however, that could be greater.

On dial-up you are wasting your time changing the default setting as it checks 'every' time you reconnect and would never reach a 120 minute delay unless you stayed on-line for longer than that period. Since avast doesn't connect but checks for the presence of a connection you could be off-line four hours and avast doesn't connect to check, so the delay doesn't start until you connect.

Program updates are a) less frequent b) much larger, so the default setting is to Ask, avast checks for updates and if a program update is available it will pop-up a notification. If you click that notification window it will download and install the update, otherwise you can let the window close normally after about 10 seconds and do a manual Program update later. When doing a program update the virus signatures will also be updates so there is no need to do that also.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:21:50 PM by DavidR »

grog4444

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »
Thanks for your reply!!!!!!!
Hopefully I will have no more questions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »
You're welcome, questions aren't unwelcome, not asking a question is stupid if it is bothering you.

CharleyO

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 10:04:56 AM »

On this forum, the only stupid questions are the questions not asked.   ;)

PapaSmurf

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 04:51:26 AM »
I must apologize, I keep forgetting that I am on broadband.
The updates are very small if done daily, and you may notice a little slow down as avast updates its' data.
Please remember, that it is still protecting your system even while it is updating itself, so a little minor slowdown for a few seconds is understandable.

If however, you do not wish to do so daily, I would at least check 3 times a week, beginning, middle, and end.
The updates may be a little bigger, but not much. The longer you put off checking for updates, the bigger the update may be. Also, it is just safer to keep up with them. :)