Author Topic: AV Defs update frequency  (Read 6295 times)

ghj290

AV Defs update frequency
« on: May 28, 2003, 10:12:30 AM »
Hi, I'm just wondering how frequent the AV Defs are updated for Avast 4 Pro/home?  I see the last update is still 23/5/03, 5 days old now.  Most of the AV Software companies update on a daily basis.
TIA,
Trev

Pavel Baudis

Re:AV Defs update frequency
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 10:34:24 AM »
Hi,
the updates are published twice a week now (usually on Tuesday and Friday). The next one is scheduled for today. Of course when there is any virus outbreak, the extra update is published immediatelly.

ghj290

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 10:56:14 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply Pavel.
Trev

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 07:14:43 PM »
Let me comment on this a little bit... ;)

I think that this "daily update" think is kind of a hype.
I mean, it's surely nice to have regular, frequent updates - but c'mon, it's just not true that new computer viruses come out every day! What really counts is the speed at which an update is issued after a realvirus appears...

So, I think it's more important to scrutinize "time of last update" (that is, the last time it was found out that we're up-to-date) then the date when the last update was issued...

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 06:12:03 AM »
Let me comment on this a little bit... ;)

I think that this "daily update" think is kind of a hype.
I mean, it's surely nice to have regular, frequent updates - but c'mon, it's just not true that new computer viruses come out every day! What really counts is the speed at which an update is issued after a realvirus appears...

So, I think it's more important to scrutinize "time of last update" (that is, the last time it was found out that we're up-to-date) then the date when the last update was issued...

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers,
Vlk

true!!! ;D ;D

so unnecessary to have daily updates!!.....kind of wasting resources isn't it???...hahaha.. ;D