Author Topic: How to disable Avast from startup  (Read 48602 times)

Texas-Hansen

Re: How to disable Avast from startup
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 02:19:55 AM »
Although I strongly advise against it, just disable each of the resident protection modules by left clicking the avast icon in the system tray and disable each one by one.

anuoldman

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 02:42:45 AM »
you can turn them all off at once by right clicking the tray icon and 'stop an-access' protection... that doesn't fix the request to get on demand only by default at boot, which is what the thread was originally about...

incredibly easy feature enhancement for the Avast guys, add checkbox in settings that sets "on-demand mode - On-access scanning disabled on boot - use at own risk" or something like that ... if they wanna get super fancy, they could set a tray icon with a yellow caution symbol in the lower left...

great solution for:
-power users of all types
-users that have machines boot into high performance / realtime apps (me)
-users that know what they are doing and have low performance machines

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 03:02:24 AM »
WinPatrol can be used to disable avast! from start up. ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »
avast is not designed or written with this in mind. I think it most unlikely that it is going to be - the design of avast will and must be tilted to those who pay for this product.  Those folks will always have systems that are capable of running avast - as they want it.

Surely it would be better for those who want a free on demand scanner to take the easy route - not cause themselves problems - and find a free on demand scanner.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:17:16 AM by alanrf »

anuoldman

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 06:41:55 AM »
- Winpatrol will kill the whole thing as discussed earlier... service won't start, then no on-demand
- Avast works fine in an 'on demand' role
- "Those who pay" have a large number of Enterprise machine types that are overhead sensitive but need the ability to scan something (finance, medical, SBS, desktop publishing, and on and on)
- The Avast draw is very significant if you are say, streaming stock market data, or opening 100MB MRI images
- it a serious error to assume "those who don't pay" are not influencing "those who pay"... if Avast suggests that users go elsewhere for on-demand, that logic runs counter to the whole idea of using the Free Home product to promote the Pay Business product

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »
Sorry ... I stand by my comments  ... those (me included) who do not pay do not influence to any great degree. I fail to see that the very few who want only on demand (read these forums) are likely to move the direction of the product.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:33:00 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 11:51:08 PM »
Avast works fine in an 'on demand' role
No, it does not, definitively not. It's not written in this way.

if Avast suggests that users go elsewhere for on-demand, that logic runs counter to the whole idea of using the Free Home product to promote the Pay Business product
Well, we disagree, sorry. avast was not intend to be run on-demand only and the free version, for sure, for sure, promotes the payed one.

On-demand you can use BitDefender.
The best things in life are free.