Author Topic: DNS Adress  (Read 4396 times)

sly

DNS Adress
« on: April 16, 2004, 04:24:29 PM »
hi
I need help Can any one give me a good adress for DNS
the one of My ISP is getting me crazy I cannot acces many web site
that anybody else can
thank

shgoh

Re:DNS Adress
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 05:09:25 PM »
auto doesn't work?

try this....not sure whether it helps..

http://www.dnsreport.com/
http://www.dnsstuff.com/

sorry if it doesn't help
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 05:43:29 PM by shgoh »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 04:14:34 AM »
hi
I need help Can any one give me a good adress for DNS
the one of My ISP is getting me crazy I cannot acces many web site
that anybody else can
thank

Am I wrong thinking that to change your DNS you must change your ISP?
I thought each ISP has its own primary and secondary DNS  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 06:15:27 AM »
This is one I was tempted to phone my help-desk guys about to clarify, but I'll give it a shot on my own -- and could be completely wrong, of course.

If I understand correctly, there's no such thing as a "standard-sized" DNS ...  some ISP's have huge ones, and some are quite small, limited to the most popular (in the sense of frequently visited) addresses, like for Yahoo and MS.

Regardless of how big or small it is, if the address you're looking for isn't listed with your ISP's DNS, it has to pass the request on to an "outside" DNS server, possibly more than one in sequence, till the address is found.

I think Technical's right, for any given ISP you don't have any choice about who or what they use for IP lookup.  But there's another thing you could try.  Somewhere "out there" there's a utility that'll give you the IP for a given URL, and vice-versa ...  if you make a note of the IP's for specific (but not "popular") sites you hit regularly, add them to your Hosts file, or even just make a small txt file so you can look them up yourself.  Then put the IP rather than the URL in the address bar (or make it a favorite in IP format).

Usually but not always, that'll be faster than using a URL since it in effects bypasses the DNS lookp.  But my ISP says it's no guarantee, because sometimes there'll be a "reverse lookup" to ensure it's a valid address.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent