Author Topic: I have problem and I need explaination  (Read 4630 times)

mika-nikola

I have problem and I need explaination
« on: May 24, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »
Hello!
Please excuse me for my bad english because is not my first language. :)

I have on my computer for program Windows XP. For protection against viruses I did have avg, but it didn't work properly and after that I change antivirus protection and I take  Avast! home edition.When I first time run this antivirus  program he (avast!) find virus in a minute.Then he ask me what I want to do with this virus and I choose to put him in cage.After that my husbund did bring with his memory stick for three timse virus : 1.) adober. exe  Win32 Rju...
                          2.) AdobeR. exe  Win32 Tro..
                          3.)kernel32.dll
                          4.) winsock.dll
                           5.) wsock32.dll
Every time after avast! whose alarming that the virus is in memory stick I choose to put him in cage and after that I choose that avsat scan whole computer. When avast whose scanning computer he made a list of damage files and on the end of some line of files who where damaged written - restore- and on some note.
My question is: How can I restore files which are not restore with avast and can I use them normally or are they going to work slowly?
Is avast  have antispy program in home edition?
Can I move this viruses from computer and destroy them or is better to not touch them and leave them in cage?
Are this viruses active in my computer even they are in cage,can they slow down computers work?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: I have problem and I need explaination
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »
My question is: How can I restore files which are not restore with avast and can I use them normally or are they going to work slowly?

If I understand correctly, avast! gave you an option to repair some files. If avast! is unable to repair an infected file, the best option is to put it in the 'cage' (quarantine).

Is avast  have antispy program in home edition?

Yes, it does have antispyware protection.

Can I move this viruses from computer and destroy them or is better to not touch them and leave them in cage?

Better not to touch them and leave them in quarantine ('the chest').

Are this viruses active in my computer even they are in cage,can they slow down computers work?

No, they're not. No they can't.

3.)kernel32.dll
4.) winsock.dll
5.) wsock32.dll

These three files are in a separate part of the chest. They are backups of system files. They are not infected files.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

mika-nikola

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »
Thank you for quick answer. I'm  not so good with computers and many things I don't understand. Can you explain me how can I put files who are infected, but avast! is unable to repair them, in to  quarantine?
And what should I do whit this three viruses 
3.)kernel32.dll
4.) winsock.dll
5.) wsock32.dll
should I leave them in  quarantine? Are they can damage or slow down my computer even they are in quarantine?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
If avast! detects a malware file, it will give you several options: repair, delete, move to chest. If avast! cannot repair a file, it will give you the option to move the file.

See attached image.

And what should I do whit this three viruses
3.)kernel32.dll
4.) winsock.dll
5.) wsock32.dll
should I leave them in  quarantine? Are they can damage or slow down my computer even they are in quarantine?

These are copies of system files. They are stored in the chest so you can restore the original system files if they become infected. This part of the chest should not be confused with the separate section where detected viruses are stored. Nothing in the chest will damage or slow down your computer.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

mika-nikola

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
Thank you ounce again for your help!
Every time when viruses came into my computer through memory stick that kind of window pop up but in my language and every time I pick up move to chest. So that mean  I do a right thing. :)

Ounce again thank you for your time and help!

blue2

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
A few additional suggestions:

First, teaching your husband to be more careful would be a good idea. Preventing is much easier than removing viruses.

Second, as USB sticks can often transfer viruses between computers, it would also be a good idea to be sure that the "autrun" feature of the USB stick is disabled.  Right click on it, go to Properties, Autoplay, and be sure it is always set to "Prompt" for each of the different type of files in the pull down menu. That will prevent a virus from automatically running when you insert the USB stick into your computer.

Third, when you do insert the USB stick, be sure to ALWAYS right click and scan it before opening or running anything.

Fourth, you did the right thing to always move them to the chest (quarantine) rather than deleting them. That is because sometimes you need to know what the virus is to be able to be sure that it is completey removed. If you just delete it, it will make it harder for anyone to help you.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:30:15 PM by blue2 »

birbilis

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »
btw, has AVAST cleaner been fixed to also remove autorun.inf entries from the USB key? Else it thinks the USB is poluted with the trojan, but it's not since it has removed AdobeR.exe in previous clean operation

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »
If you have an infected USB drive, maybe this helps...

• Download Flash Drive Disinfector and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
  • Note: Flash Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder... it will help protect your drives from future infection.

• After you get clean, I also suggest you use Net Studio USB FireWall to avoid further infection.
The best things in life are free.