Author Topic: iAVS is no good for me  (Read 15139 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: iAVS is no good for me
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »
Most don't cater well for off-line systems other than just download the complete database, in fact many don't even offer incremental updates for the on-line update. That is one of the things that annoy me about SuperAntiSpyware's updates being a dial-up user also.

I've got the free version of SAS (no resident protection), so only update that once a week just before doing a scan.  What the heck, for a full set of defs each day, it's gonna be around 2.5 megs anyway, so no point doing it daily if I don't use it that often.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »
Yes, even though I have the paid option I tend to update it weekly being a dial-up user. In fact I created a support ticket as SAS support saying that:
1. I felt the updates sucked as a dial-up user.
2. I said either their update servers are very slow or you are having to download the full database. Which is crazy given the small number of actual new additions.
3. I also said I felt I was spoilt by avasts incremental updates.

Their response confirmed we are downloading the whole database, but it was a concious decision to supposedly stop viruses removing their signatures. I didn't have the heart to mention avasts integrity check after the incremental update to ensure that the downloaded update was correct. Nr did I mention the avast self-defence module.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 08:41:52 AM »
Actually you don't need incrimental standalone downloadable updates as long as you have just one computer online. When it updates, copy 400.vps from online computer to those offline. It's still a 17MB file but you transfer it locally with USB key drive or burning it to CD-RW.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
Hello all, first time here and a recent adopter of Avast! Is there no way to manually download the virus database updates separately or am I missing something? Through no fault of my own I live in an area so backward we can't get broadband so I am stuck on dial-up. We also have multiple computers at home and for security reasons the one I use for Internet access has a different hardware and software configuration than the others and is not networked with them. For me iAVS doesn't work and it really sucks if I have to download 17 mb of installation files at dial-up speed every time I want to update the virus database. Otherwise I like Avast! but if there really is no way to download the updates manually (why?) I will have to return to AVG. Thanks for any suggestions.

A tricky one. Can you not network the computers and at least temporarily share the dial-up connection until each machine has updated? Major program updates would still be a pain.
Virus databases for all AVs continue to grow. 14/09/2008 manual AVG update is 26MB!
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 12:31:44 PM »
Actually you don't need incrimental standalone downloadable updates as long as you have just one computer online. When it updates, copy 400.vps from online computer to those offline. It's still a 17MB file but you transfer it locally with USB key drive or burning it to CD-RW.

It may be just a 17MB file to you (lucky broadband users), but to a dial-up user with a poor connection it is huge ;D which was the whole reason of this topic by kreng, see quote below.

<snip>
Through no fault of my own I live in an area so backward we can't get broadband so I am stuck on dial-up. We also have multiple computers at home and for security reasons the one I use for Internet access has a different hardware and software configuration than the others and is not networked with them. For me iAVS doesn't work and it really sucks if I have to download 17 mb of installation files at dial-up speed every time I want to update the virus database.
<snip>
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »
No, you don't understand what i'm telling you.
The one computer thats online updates its signatures incrimentally by few KB's each time. The signature file is 17MB but its updated by few KB's each time. Now you copy that 400.vps file and transfer it to other offline computers using lets say USB key.
You don't download those 17MB, you just copy the 17MB 400.vps file localy from DATA folder. It doesn't matter even if you have 16k net connection since you don't download anything.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »
Yes, but aren't we waiting confirmation on what files are need to do this without any problem, whilst it might work for you in a virtual environment.

avast installations are somehow linked to hard disk volume aren't they so shifting this to another system could this potentially circumvent continuing to get updates on an expired license (not that this should be a problem with a home version) ??

I don't know so hopefully we will get some input from one of the Alwil team.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »
You're just transfering virus database, not license or any other file. avast! showed updated date so i assume it properly detected the new signature file.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »
Update:
Well I fired up my old system (not on a network) and the Windows Security Center (WSC) reported it out of date. I copied the 400.vps and clnr0.dll files to a USB stick and transferred them to the ....\avast4\Data folder (having disabled the self-defence module first).

After a reboot the WSC now reports the VPS correctly as the one transferred.

mickeyj4j

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
i never have had any problem and i am on dialup.

now my friends avast program is doing the same thing. it was working now it is not downloading the updates. (I am going soon to have a look at it for her)

y not try and reinstall avast and start again. it may take awhile to update to current iavs at first then if done regularly you should have no problems

mickeyj4j

interesting but did you know that
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »
interesting but did you know that on some of those pc mag cds there are updates to avg and i think avast too. so why cant there be a offline update. like on the cds it would make sense you know. Avg and avast are very similar  so there could be a manual update

i think it would be easy to find the iavs files and copy them.  you could also keep an eye on my other post for more help

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39316.0

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:00:36 PM by mickeyj4j »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 04:37:19 AM »
why cant there be a offline update
Well, they exist indeed...
Download the update here: http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe
The best things in life are free.