Author Topic: concurrent limit exceeded  (Read 6279 times)

plumjam

concurrent limit exceeded
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »
Over last few days since an unsuccessful avast update was notified, I  have had trouble receiving emails (POP3 server)on my outlook express properly - using my ISP medic seemed to fix problem until today - now I can get nothing at all but the message - Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded(pass:0, processes:)', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90
I'm not sure what to do as ISP online didnt help - advice greatly appreciated

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: concurrent limit exceeded
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »
Your ISP I wouldn't think would be able to help.

The error message seems to be incomplete as it usually indicates what program/process is hogging the connections.

This can be down to another AV or remnants, news reader/aggregater, anti-spam, etc. do you have anything like that ?

Concurrent Connections Error: You could modify the avast4.ini file using notepad, "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini." Find the [MailScanner] section and insert a new line after the section heading, and enter this MaxConnections=50 (if that line exists you can change the value to 50). Save the changes, the avast self-defence will ask if it is OK answer yes.

[MailScanner]
MaxConnections=50

The default concurrent connection limit is 20 (for mail & news together). If the limit was exceeded, you would see the line Closing connection due to MaxConnections into aswMaiSv.log file. This limit exists not to save resources, but to prevent connection looping in strange configurations, so the user can increase it without worry to, for instance, 50. The value 0 disables the limit.

However, you should endeavour to find the real culprit rather than extend the limit as it is likely to gobble up the extra connections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

plumjam

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
Thank you for the response, I had noticed others with similar problems and seen that my error message was slightly different.I dont have another AV or anti-spam etc and  no news-readers - I'd done nothing different today but after leaving the post I ran my avast (no infections)and then re-booted as a matter of interest and I have since this evening received my emails as normal thru outlook express, so I dont understand where the problem came from and what 'fixed' it. any further suggestions of what I can check please - I'm not too technical so when anything goes wrong I tend to worry in case I then do something to make matters worse

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:04:34 AM »
If it has happened just the once, I wouldn't be concerned, that may be why there was no specific process named as using the connections up, a computer hiccup.

However, if it were to be a regular occurrence then hopefully it would report the process using the connection in any future error message. Then we could try to investigate that process and if not malicious, bump up the max connections slightly to try to resolve it.

Personally I don't go chasing problems the first time they occur (but that is me, with the benefit of a little more experience) unless I deem them to be serious and that is a judgement call. So without that experience you are right to seek help/guidance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

plumjam

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »
Thanks again David - will see how it gets on when I use the computer next time -logging off now...time for bed (said Zeberdee :O) ....)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:27:49 AM »
time for bed (said Zeberdee

While it betrays my age ...

So long since I heard that quote - and what fond memories it recalls of a packed television room in my college at York University (UK) at the end of the 60's when, of course they claimed, everyone was only there (for "Magic Roundabout") so they could get a seat to watch the evening news.  No better crowd was to be seen except for "Top of the Pops" and claiming a seat just before "Star Trek".

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:35:59 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »
Thanks again David - will see how it gets on when I use the computer next time -logging off now...time for bed (said Zeberdee :O) ....)

You're welcome.

Boing said Dylan ;D