Author Topic: Exclusions  (Read 3182 times)

Lector

Exclusions
« on: November 05, 2008, 08:40:58 PM »
If I have a program that I know is a keylogger, and I installed it for surveilance purposes on my own laptop, how can I make Avast! ignore it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Exclusions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
It depends on what surveillance you want to do as keyloggers are not suited to all purposes, e.g. monitoring your children's on-line activity (there are better tools) ?

If the keylogger is from a reputable company/source and isn't likely to do some covert transmission of your data, then you could exclude it from scans.

I assume that it is being detected by avast ?
If so - What is the malware name, the suspect file name, where was it found e.g. (Malware name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

If you are happy to accept the risk you can add it to the exclusions lists:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions (right click the avast ' a ' icon)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 03:25:52 AM »
The best things in life are free.

Lector

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
It depends on what surveillance you want to do as keyloggers are not suited to all purposes, e.g. monitoring your children's on-line activity (there are better tools) ?

If the keylogger is from a reputable company/source and isn't likely to do some covert transmission of your data, then you could exclude it from scans.

I assume that it is being detected by avast ?
If so - What is the malware name, the suspect file name, where was it found e.g. (Malware name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

If you are happy to accept the risk you can add it to the exclusions lists:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions (right click the avast ' a ' icon)

I did not mean that kind of surveilance. You see, i´m 17 and I usually take the laptop to school, and I know that sometimes my classmates use it, as well as sometimes that I leave it at home and my one of sister´s friends comes over. What I want is to be able to know if they used it if I told ´em not to and exactly what do they did if so.

The thing is that I had no antivirus at all for about 6 months because I wanted to avoid these kind of things. It wont even allow me to use a joke program that turns the screen upside-down, and I sometimes NEED that program.

In case it is useful the keylogger is Tiny Keylogger (C:/Windows/System32/tikl.exe)

Thanks for the help though, now I just need to find the standard shield ::).

EDIT: I found it and added it to the list, no change. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:29:26 PM by Lector »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »
Surely the best way to achieve that would be to password protect the logon to your account and restrict the accounts available to only your own and the administrator accounts, etc. You can also set it up so that when it goes to screensaver, etc. that you need to enter your password when it resumes.

Keeping people out is preferable to checking to see if anyone has used it, that is to late.

Having found how to exclude the file, yet it doesn't work, sort of answers the question I asked but you didn't answer, e.g. does avast alert on the file ?
I suspect that it doesn't, so it isn't avast blocking as it isn't a blocker but a scanner, it will block and alert if an infected file is found.

The same with your comment "It wont even allow me to use a joke program that turns the screen upside-down, and I sometimes NEED that program."
What exactly do you mean by that is avast alerting on it ?

Quote from: Lector
The thing is that I had no antivirus at all for about 6 months because I wanted to avoid these kind of things.

This could well be the true cause of the problem.
What other AV installed was in this system and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security