Author Topic: Where is the iavs database kept ??  (Read 7380 times)

mickeyj4j

Where is the iavs database kept ??
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »
i need to know where the iavs updates are stored on my comp so i can give them to a friend wqho is having trouble downloading them.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Where is the iavs database kept ??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:08:23 AM »
Give your friend this executable to run:
http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe

mickeyj4j

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:14:55 AM »
This is good but i would find it easier to put them on my flash drive and transfer from there.

re my origional question where are the iavs database files kept

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:27:57 AM »

So, download the executable yourself onto a flash drive and go from there.

mickeyj4j

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:05:04 AM »
My request may be a bit strange To some of yopu out there but i am working with 2 older computers both on dialup  :o to update my friends comp it says 4hrs. that is why i am thinking of transferring the iavs database from one comp to the other.

then my friends comp would have a recent database and it will take only a few minutes to update.

mainly for $$$$$$ we both have to use dialup. please understand this.

if anyone can help I would appreciate it allot.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »
Dial-up Incremental VPS update work around for off-line system.

The quote below works, tested on off line system requires a reboot for the WSC to also recognise the updated VPS.
Ok, i tested exactly what i suggested and it appears it works. I've used old installation from May 2008 in virtual machine. Copied 400.vps and clnr0.dll from host system to VM system and avast! showed signature date identical to the one on host system. And that even without system reboot. Now i don't know if everything works as it suppose to but it seems to be a good start.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »
Actually, the fact that the About box reports the updated VPS version it not related to the version really used for the scanning. To make avast! load the new VPS, you'd have to kill all running scanners (which might not be as easy as it seems) and restart them.

But I'm not saying that avast setup won't notice the "strange" change of the 400.vps file and put the old one back anyway... so, I really don't recommend trying to update the VPS "manually" - avast! doesn't expect that and it may have strange results.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
Unless that is something which has recently been introduced (killing all running scanners), all I did was to disable the self-defence to allow for the replacement of the originals.

Both about avast and the WSC reported the same VPS version as the donor system that the files came from and I have rebooted a couple of times.

Since my second system isn't connected I haven't done a manual or auto update so it won't have run the avast.setup to test that theory of avast.setup somehow replacing the donor 400.vps with the original . Though where it might get that I don't know, as t isn't on my system nor could it download since I'm not connected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »
No, there's nothing new here.

If you overwrite the 400.vps file, the About box will probably show the new version - but the new database will not be loaded into memory (i.e. used, even in newly started on-demand scans) until all the running scanners are killed and restarted (which includes the resident protection) - that's what I'm quite sure about. Of course, restarting the computer (after the file is overwritten) fulfills the condition.

Regarding the replacement of the updated file by avast! setup - here I am not sure, I really don't know, just saying that I can imagine such a scenario. (But certainly a reason for not recommending this method ;))
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:03:21 PM by igor »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:11 PM »
OK, perhaps a small test in the labs then, I promise not to tell anyone  ;)
Apart from those watching of course ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
Well, best way would be to simply restart the system after you copy the database file.
Although it would be easier to just use stand alone EXE definitions file and leave avast! to update itself automatically later. Updates are usually around 20KB or even less in size. Nothing even dialup couldn't handle. Thats like 4-5 seconds on 56k modem. Trust me when i say that. I used to update Norton on dialup and updates were far from just 20KB.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »
Well since the OP is doing this for a friend who is experiencing problem downloading them and he is on a slow dial-up downloading the full 400.vps installation file is a bit on the large side at 19.6MB.

This is why he is seeking other options.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »
I think the better will be letting automatic and incremental update.

Maybe besides the 400.vps file, you need to copy clnr0.dll and transfer them to the <avast4>\Data folder of the off-line computer (having disabled the avast self-defence module first).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »
That isn't at question, the incremental VPS auto update is best.

But the problems/requests expressed by the Original Poster being for some reason they need to get the complete vps so it can be transferred to other systems when they are on slow dial-up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
That isn't at question, the incremental VPS auto update is best.
I'm posting my opinion, not an answer to a question ;)

But the problems/requests expressed by the Original Poster being for some reason they need to get the complete vps so it can be transferred to other systems when they are on slow dial-up.
I've added some info to all the other posts: the file clnr0.dll.
This is the reason of my previous post.
The best things in life are free.