Author Topic: When will avast! 5?  (Read 22622 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: When will avast! 5?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
H1 indeed meant "first half" (I believe this is pretty standard acronym, isn't it?)

Feature-wise, the only thing I can promise is a totally new user interface.
And as some of you already anticipated, yes, it will be based on the same framework as the antirootkit tool.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »
I believe this is pretty standard acronym, isn't it?
Well, not for me  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
I usually use quarters (Q1,Q2,Q3 and Q4) otherwise i just type it with words to avoid confusions hehe.
So that would be like Q1 or Q2 2009, basically ;)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
Typing whole words isn't that cool, or is it ?  :P Moreover, speaking about H2, you can always be mistaken that you mean your new SUV, which isn't a bad thing either.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 07:56:45 PM »
I believe this is pretty standard acronym, isn't it?
Well, not for me  :-[

Not here either!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

cooljays

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 12:45:27 AM »
 :) hi all avast 5 will come when it is ready i feel.
All i hope for is good detection fast scan and if a new interface something still with different skins?
I also would like to keep the voice system my cat jumps when the computer says "virus data base updated"
Keep up the good work

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 02:32:22 AM »
No skins in version 5 as has been said before the third party skinning software is no longer available.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 03:18:23 AM »
Jimi Hendrix wanted his guitar amps to be louder. He told his amp maker "Everybody's amps go up to volume 10. I want mine to go to Volume 11." They tried to explain it to him...... "But Jimi, those are just numbers on a dial. When the dial is turned all the way to your right, that is as loud as it goes regardless of what numbers are on the knob."     but Jimi would not be dissuaded... "I want my amps to go to Volume 11." So the amp manufacturer took the exact same amps with the exact same knobs but re-painted all of the knobs on Jimi's amps so that the numbers went from 0-11. And Jimi was happy. I'm not sure what brought this story to mind. ;)

Funny story... but it was Christopher Guest as the fictional Nigel Tufnel in "This is Spinal Tap" who's responsible for the line "These go to eleven".

Jim Marshall was Hendrix's "amp maker" and there's no suggestion from him that Jimi was ignorant or stupid.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

smokethapimp

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »
Jimi Hendrix wanted his guitar amps to be louder. He told his amp maker "Everybody's amps go up to volume 10. I want mine to go to Volume 11." They tried to explain it to him...... "But Jimi, those are just numbers on a dial. When the dial is turned all the way to your right, that is as loud as it goes regardless of what numbers are on the knob."     but Jimi would not be dissuaded... "I want my amps to go to Volume 11." So the amp manufacturer took the exact same amps with the exact same knobs but re-painted all of the knobs on Jimi's amps so that the numbers went from 0-11. And Jimi was happy. I'm not sure what brought this story to mind. ;)

Funny story... but it was Christopher Guest as the fictional Nigel Tufnel in "This is Spinal Tap" who's responsible for the line "These go to eleven".

Jim Marshall was Hendrix's "amp maker" and there's no suggestion from him that Jimi was ignorant or stupid.

Actually it was different amps... Sun or Orange I think but not sure. I suspect they borrowed that Hendrix story for the movie Spinal Tap. Maybe Jimi just thought it would be cool to have 11 on his amps - who knows. I think the story comes from the 1973 film Jimi Hendrix, but I have seen several Hendrix movies and am not certain which one it came from.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:06:42 AM by smokethapimp »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 04:19:32 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about Hendrix but I'd need more evidence before I could take this story seriously.

The only thing about numbers on amps I can recall is in  Keith Shadwick's biography, see pages 248/9, where he mentions "the Hendricks setting" - all knobs at 10, and Jim Marshall recalls that James Marshall Hendrix (yes they shared 2 names) used "standard" 100 watt Marshall amps.

Yes I know this is way off topic.  :-[
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:22:13 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

a.mutu10

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »
smoke, that's a very good story and nicely sums up my feelings about the issue.

I mean, I see many people ask "when is avast 5 going to be released" without actually knowing what's going to be in it.
So I suppose if we released the next interim update (originally dubbed as 4.8.something) as avast 5, these people would be perfectly happy :)

Not that we'll do it, but I find it somewhat funny.

But seriously, it looks like avast 5 will be released in H1 2009. At least that's what I can tell for now, without going into detail with respect to its features.

Cheers
Vlk

Yes i agree that they should ask about features.. but i think it is also because avast 5 = new gui ...
and this i think is one of the mainly reasons of this "fever" because avast 4.x skins are going to be too obsolete..not well ordered.. and they do not give a lot of infos about what there is inside of it (example when anti-rootkit has been added for the ones who see changelog or follow forums has been clear.. but to the ones who just download avast and see gui.. they didn't felt anything new..)

If u look at Kaspersky 6 or 7 GUI u can see that everything has an icon/description and that u can turn it on or off.. and is not that they have a lot more features than avast.. but they are more able to "sell" it.. to give user perception of what the product offer.

I think avast relase a lot of engine updates and that is great but they do it in a too "silent" way ... by my point of view should also be considered that little cosmetic changes done by time to time (usually most antivirus make it once per year but avast is a loooong time with same gui.. some years i think) could help to give ppl the idea of a new engine inside the software.

I know it may seems stupid but it is a marketing thing.. and even if i am not an housewife in front of a computer... i have to admit that by time to time seeing changes in a gui make me happy  :P

Ps if final version is in the first half of 2009.. when a stable beta to download could be out? i can't wait to test!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:52:44 PM by a.mutu10 »

smokethapimp

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:25 AM »
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about Hendrix but I'd need more evidence before I could take this story seriously.

The only thing about numbers on amps I can recall is in  Keith Shadwick's biography, see pages 248/9, where he mentions "the Hendricks setting" - all knobs at 10, and Jim Marshall recalls that James Marshall Hendrix (yes they shared 2 names) used "standard" 100 watt Marshall amps.

Yes I know this is way off topic.  :-[

I will be the first to admit my memory may be suspect with regards to a movie I saw 30 years ago. ;D  I have wanted to see it again. I will maybe look around and see if I can find it. It was a lot of interviews of people who knew Jimi interspersed with Concert Footage and interviews with Jimi himself. I liked it a lot when I saw it at college. 30 years ago. :o