Author Topic: Can avast! deal with all the viruses automatically without poping up alerts?  (Read 14507 times)

skypacer

Each time running a local disk scan, the avsat! scanner will stop and pop up an alert whenever virus found, and won't continue before an operation is selected manually. It frustrates me a lot for I have to sit at the screen ,watching utill the long awaited task is over, or the process will never finish just because of a single virus found but not handled.
the same thing happens to the screensaver antivirus. When a virus is found, the screensaver scan terminates, this make the superb way of scanning when idle much more useless.
I have tried some settings in the extended panel and screensaver configuration, but it doesn't work...
So, can anyone give me some advice?
(PS, my avast is a 4.8 pro edition on Windows Xp SP3.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:31:06 AM by skypacer »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:39:59 AM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

skypacer

Sorry for my poor English.
I found a thread here:
Using Avast 4.8 on Win XP Home SP2

I tried to find a switch setting that would prevent Avast from stopping a scan and await user input when it finds some malware, but I couldn't.

I invoked a full scan and left the PC figuring it would take over four hours. When I returned four hours later, it was sitting there informing me that it had found Win32:Agent-AXG Trojan in the dBpowerAMP-codec-ogg executable. The suggestion was to put it in the Chest. So why not put it there, go on with the scan, and inform me when it was over?

If there is a way to do this, please let me know what it is.
Thanks
EdP
This case is similar to what i have experienced.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:35:49 AM by skypacer »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Did you try to set your avast like Bluesman's post?
The best things in life are free.

skypacer

Check this post from Tech

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285
Thanks, Bluesman.
But the post from Tech seems not go with my problem.
My problem is:

1、About the scan on Simple User Interface.
I just wonder how do I get Avast anti virus to auto delete/send to vault any virus found on scan
When I scan for viruses, & a virus is found, the scan stops & asks me what to do with the virus, Delete, send to vault or whatever........If I am not at the computer, when this happens, a lot of time is wasted.

2、About the screen saver of Avast! anti virus.
Can I force it to scan all the files at a time? (It now suspend whenever a virus is found.)
This issue is very important, for I am considering to register another 2 Avast! Home for my parents, and they barely know how to use an anti-virus software.
If the screen saver can auto handle viruses, then Avast would be best choice for my Mum and dad.

Sorry for my poor English and wish you can catch what i say.
Thanks again  :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:31:07 PM by skypacer »

skypacer

Did you try to set your avast like Bluesman's post?
Yes, I did all the settings like that, but it doesn't work for scans on Simple User Interface. :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:31:54 PM by skypacer »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Yes, I did all the settings like that, but it doesn't work for scans on Simple User Interface. :-\
No, you need to start the scans using the Tasks of the Professional version.
The Home version only allows "Silent Mode":

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.
But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28088.msg229736#msg229736

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for the user automatically.

skypacer

No, you need to start the scans using the Tasks of the Professional version.
The Home version only allows "Silent Mode":

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.
But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28088.msg229736#msg229736

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for the user automatically.
Thank you Tech, though I already knew that.. :)
and..Can you tell me more about the screen saver ?
Is there anyway to make the scan performed by screen saver NOT stop working when virus found ?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:37:53 PM by skypacer »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Is there anyway to make the scan performed by screen saver NOT stop working when virus found ?

Long time since I used the screensaver, but can't you just choose the screensaver, and click in the button "Settings" ?

(Right Click on desktop -> Properties* -> Choose the Tab "Screensaver" and choose avast! screensaver -> and then click on "Settings"*)

* I'm using the swedish version of avast!, so I am not 100% sure of the names in english.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Only in the Professional version.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38718.0      se picture in last post... maybe what you are looking for

skypacer

Only in the Professional version.
Yes, I have a Pro version, but still can not realize what I want.
can you explain it in detail? I am longing for it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:55:52 AM by skypacer »

skypacer

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38718.0      se picture in last post... maybe what you are looking for
Hi, pondus.
My settings of screen saver have always been just like that, and the scan can indeed auto handle a virus found, but only the first one found. What frustrates me is that the screen saver will stop scanning once telling you that a virus is found.

skypacer

Long time since I used the screensaver, but can't you just choose the screensaver, and click in the button "Settings" ?

(Right Click on desktop -> Properties* -> Choose the Tab "Screensaver" and choose avast! screensaver -> and then click on "Settings"*)

* I'm using the swedish version of avast!, so I am not 100% sure of the names in english.
Sorry, but I tried all the above several days ago, and could not find a solution.
Once a virus is found, the message box of Avast! screen saver (used to be blue) turns red, and tells you something like "*** virus is found, the scan halts ", then the scan stops while screen saver is still out there.
(I am using the Chinese version, thus I cannot translate contents in the red message box exactly.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:15:15 AM by skypacer »

skypacer

Have a look at the image blow,
that's what my problem is.
The message mainly reads:
   avast! screen saver
FILE: D:\***\****\Install.exe
NUMBER OF FILES SCANNED: 1888
   virus found: Win32-Ourxin-B[spy], scan suspended
Then the file "Install.exe" was quarantined by Avast!, the file counter stayed at 1888, and the screen saver would not scan any more utill re-evoked again next time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:08:17 AM by skypacer »