Author Topic: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!  (Read 200451 times)

wabbaloo

Re: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
I'm also now dealing with this problem. I used to have either Norton or Mcafee a long time ago (at least 2 years), but then switched to Avast.  What do I need to do to rid my computer of any remnants of these programs?

I'm also running Windows Defender, Spycatcher, and Ad-Aware.  Using Windows Firewall because of some kind of problem with Zone Alarm, but it was some time ago and forget what it was.  IIRC, Zone Alarm had some kind of anti-virus capability as well. How much will any of this affect Avast?  Thanks!!!

The only avast processes showing in Windows Task Manager are ashDisp.exe (6480k) and aswUpdSv.exe (248k).
If ashServ.exe is not running, you're antivirus is disabled. Generally, will also being running ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe.

Do you suppose that it's the capitalization of the "programs" directory?
No. avast should be able to run from any folder.
Does the path contain non-ASCII (or accented) characters?

Can you try?

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again.
6. Boot.

By the way, any other antivirus installed (even in the past) in this computer?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html
2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

punitr1

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
hi i am also having the same problem. when i switch my computer the  avast icon has a red circle on it and when i click on it says
'The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error'.
I am also trying get rid of avast from my computer when i try to remove the software it, it says
Avast!
a setiface error has occurred: 536870929
Try to reinstal or contact support, please.

i am really confused  ??? what to do so could you please help..

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
hi i am also having the same problem. when i switch my computer the  avast icon has a red circle on it and when i click on it says
I am also trying get rid of avast from my computer when i try to remove the software it, it says
Avast!
Try to reinstal or contact support, please.

i am really confused  ??? what to do so could you please help..

-= Try Repairing avast installation via Add or Remove Programs --> Avast antivirus --> Change/Remove --> Scroll down to see the repair function..

-= *yawn* its already 12:00.. I guess its time for me to sleep.. Good night to everyone..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »
Avast!
<snip>

You could start by answering this question - Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This is by far the most common reason for this problem.

Or if no other AV installed now or before, try a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed, as it seems to have it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alien1344

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2010, 11:58:39 PM »
Solution to this is pretty simple by the way. Right click my computer and hit manage. Go to services and applications (the +) then press services. Under services locate 'avast! Antivirus', double click it and press start. Also set the drop down box to automatic. Voila! Fixed :). Press ok and close services box.

Edit: Avast still won't be running on-screen protection so locate the avast icon in your task bar, right click it and hit "start on-screen protection".

If the icon is not there open my computer, locate alwil software and avast4 (C:\program files\alwil software\avast4 by default) and run 'ashDisp'. Then do the step above. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:04:33 AM by Alien1344 »

skniazi786

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »
hey i have the screen shot of this error i m getting

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
Not good to tag along on a topic with three years since the latest post and the topic created almost nine years ago.

The avast versions will be completely different. So any suggestions offered here are unlikely to work. Outside of this error has been related to having another AV installed or remnants of you previous AV left behind.

So it would be best to create your own new topic, sans very large coloured text, not needed  to get help.

In that topic answer the following question - Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
skniazi786, which is your avast! version number and type?
Which was your previous antivirus before avast! and how did you uninstall it?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
From his image it looks like avast 7, but this shouldn't continue in this nine year old topic.

Yngvarson

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
And the problem still exist.
--------------------
ver. 8.0.1489 avast! Free Antivirus

Previous AV's:
avast! Internet Security - un-installed and cleaned with avast un-installing tool
--------------------

After installing this free ver. I cannot register due to error and no engine updates are available.
avast! Antivirus service is not running and cannot start (starts and stops right away).
Only procces currently running is AvastUI.exe

-------------------

Please help

Offline diwax

• May the Sunshine on you always :-)
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 11:03:27 PM »
I've also had this happen twice in the last few days after updates have occurred. To finally restart (remove the red X circle in the orange icon) I had to reinstall  (as a restore didn't work). Not sure why this happening. FYI I'm using the attached (paid) version of internet security-is the version you are using?

Yngvarson

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2013, 06:41:45 AM »
Hi,

So I found out what was wrong in my case.

What I did:

• Uninstalled Avast
  • reboot
  • used Avast Cleaner in safe mode
  • reboot
  • searched whole Registry to get rid of any Avast traces
  • reboot
  • installed Avast FREE

it is working now as it should be!

Regards

REDACTED

Re:The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
I had uninstalled, booted, reinstalled and booted but the problem remains the same. I had also successfully unistalled AVIRA anti virus before installing AVAST. Please help

Also check the Windows event log (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer), Antivirus category. Are there any "red" entries?

Thanks
Vlk

REDACTED

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
Hi everyone. I don't know why but for some reason I can't make the resident protector to work on my W2k pro.
I am getting this error message: "The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!"
I tried to stop the service and run it manually but still doesn't work.
Any ideas?

I am also having the same problem, Please somebody help