Author Topic: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!  (Read 200264 times)

thenewking

Re:The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2004, 04:09:15 AM »
i did the repair thing and still the same error

should i reinstall

ZiP

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2004, 07:39:47 PM »
I have this problem too. It started when I installed avast. I had this error for some time and then(I didn't do anything - as I know) it disapeard. It'd worked fine for some time and then again. I re-installed, changed the "Database" key of "data\avast4.ini" file from "ODBC" to "XML",
checked the Windows event log and there is a lot of errors, ashServ.exe is not in the process list, I have the latest version, in the avast log viewer there are 4 errors - one of them is - During the parsing of C:........DATA\avast4.xml XML document, following error occurred: C., I had some antivirus programs before but i uninstalled them correctly I think. I have ad-aware 6 an zone alarm installed. What's wrong?

ZiP

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2004, 08:54:57 AM »
Anyone?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2004, 09:11:27 AM »
Please send me the file avast4.xml (via email). Then you may try to delete it and restart the "avast antivirus" service...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 09:11:44 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

DoctorO

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2004, 02:19:44 AM »
Hey there.. I was having the same problem here and after much frustration, I found this and it solved the problem!!  (for me at least)

CAUSE
This issue occurs when one or both of the following conditions are true:
There is a file named Program in your SystemDrive folder.
There is a file named Common, SharePoint, or SharePoint Portal in your ProgramFiles folder.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, rename, move, or delete the respective files from the SystemDrive folder or the ProgramFiles folder

You can find the full article here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q325680

Happy virus hunting!  ;)

Doc
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 02:29:53 AM by DoctorO »

ZiP

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2004, 04:16:55 PM »
OMG!!! That's it. I deleted the file and now it's working. Thanks God.

CharleyO

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2004, 06:59:45 AM »

Welcome to the forums, DoctorO! And thanks for the info that helped ZiP. I am sure others may find this useful also!    :)    

wpcoe

Re: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2007, 05:58:10 PM »
OK, now *I* am getting the dreaded avast "AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error'" message.

This is on my notebook computer that I only use on the road, and haven't been on the road for a while, so not sure when it started, but going to the error logs, I find that on 4/20/07 I started getting Program path "e:\programs\Avast" is invalid.  Correct it or rinstall the program.  I *do* have the program installed to that directory, with the only exception that "programs" actually is "Programs" when I view the directory tree in Windows Explorer.

I manually updated the program to "Build: May2007 (4.7.1001)" and also ran the Repair option from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

Doctor O's MSKB suggestion does not apply ... I do not have files or folders thusly named in either my C:\ or E:\ drives.

I made sure the RPC and RPC Locator services are started.

The only avast processes showing in Windows Task Manager are ashDisp.exe (6480k) and aswUpdSv.exe (248k).

Do you suppose that it's the capitalization of the "programs" directory?

I *can* start avast! Antivirus to conduct a scan, I just cannot start "On-Access Protection"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
The only avast processes showing in Windows Task Manager are ashDisp.exe (6480k) and aswUpdSv.exe (248k).
If ashServ.exe is not running, you're antivirus is disabled. Generally, will also being running ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe.

Do you suppose that it's the capitalization of the "programs" directory?
No. avast should be able to run from any folder.
Does the path contain non-ASCII (or accented) characters?

Can you try?

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again.
6. Boot.

By the way, any other antivirus installed (even in the past) in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

wpcoe

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 11:34:28 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reply.  Life "on the road" has taken its toll and I've not been online as much as usual.

I did un- and re-install Avast and all is well now, revolving spheer in the system tray and all.

Not sure just what was the problem, but the re-installation fixed whatever it was.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2007, 11:47:12 PM »
Not sure just what was the problem, but the re-installation fixed whatever it was.
Probably folder access rights... The reinstallation generally solves this...
Welcome to avast forums 8)

lwainer

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »
I had the same problem, and here is the solution that worked for me.  If you uninstalled Avast in the past through the add/remove programs, you probably did not uninstall it correctly (as was the case for me). 
Avast has a program to uninstall it correctly on their website.  Here is the link that will remove the software completely from the computer.  Then you can reinstall.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html
For some reason, if you uninstall any other way, there are things left in the registry that will conflict with a reinstall.  After removing it this way, reinstalling it works perfectly.

cipix

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »
People, if all above fails, then RPC ERROR IS A  R A M ERROR.

Try upgrade your bios, or adjust ram frequency to lowest/safest.

If this still fails, change your RAM.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 04:56:53 PM by cipix »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »
RPC ERROR IS A  R A M ERROR.
Well... why are you saying that? I think RPC error won't be related to hardware problems or RAM...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »
RPC ERROR IS A  R A M ERROR.
Well... why are you saying that? I think RPC error won't be related to hardware problems or RAM...

Snap, this is I believe software and not hardware related, so I would appreciate where you found this theory/analysis.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security