Author Topic: SBS standard server license question  (Read 8573 times)

mmurphy

SBS standard server license question
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
Hi,
I found this product by looking for a server ONLY anti-virus, my workstations are currently locked into a contract with another companies anti-virus product.  Avast was the only product available that I could find that would let me purchase just ONE license, for the SBS server. 

That was 3 months ago, and now my trial has expired.  Now, I can't buy just 1 license, or maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

I need just 1 license, for the server only (exchange server is bundled into the OS with SBS, not on a separate box), and I am not paying for 5 just to use only 1.
Please tell me I have not fallen for the old bait and switch....

Just to clarify, I am taken to a page where I can buy the product, but I get an error stating that I must buy 5 licenses.  SBS edition, not suite, is advertised that I can buy 1 license.  What is going on here?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:43:59 PM by mmurphy »

mmurphy

Re: SBS standard server license question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
Just as I thought, it really is the old bait and switch,
Avast wants me to buy 5 licenses when I only need 1.  No thanks, I will find a company that is HONEST. 

dancerdog3

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »
the number of licenses for SBS should match the number user CALs on the SBS.  This is similar to many different types of software.  Zum Beispiel:  MS Exchange runs on ONE server, but you need licenses for each USER.  The Avast website says, " avast! SBS Edition is licensed per Client Access License (CAL) on the server and does NOT include desktop protection."  This seems fairly clear. 

I am not aware of any AV for SBS that is not licensed in this manner.

mmurphy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »
the number of licenses for SBS should match the number user CALs on the SBS.  This is similar to many different types of software.  Zum Beispiel:  MS Exchange runs on ONE server, but you need licenses for each USER.  The Avast website says, " avast! SBS Edition is licensed per Client Access License (CAL) on the server and does NOT include desktop protection."  This seems fairly clear. 

I am not aware of any AV for SBS that is not licensed in this manner.

No, I was just looking for 1 (one) anti-virus for the SBS server, which IS the exchange server.  I have AV solutions already on the workstations. 
Since Avast will not do this, I went to another product. Too bad, because Avast is a good product.  Trend Micro will let you buy 2 licenses at a time, much better deal than 5 at a time.

I never saw the statement you posted either on this page: Http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_small_business.html
or on this page:http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_server_sbs_e.html
which is how I ended up downloading the trial.

So let me get this straight, I have 8 users, so I would have to buy 8 (really 10) licenses for the server and the product "does not include desktop protection".  So does that mean that I have to buy another desktop license for all 8 workstations? If so why would any small business want to do that?

dancerdog3

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
The license are related to the MS CALs.  So 8 users on SBS wouls be 10 CALs, and it would require an Avast license for 10 also.

Trend Micro is also licensed this way.  I double checked this, and Deanna at Trend said "minimum purchase of 5 users" for the server license.  If they told you that you can buy 2 license at a time, they are not being consistent.

Why would a small business wnat to do this?  Protection.  Most AV - even Avast- has some bundle of Server and Desktop to protect everything, and they have server only products.  When you look at server only AV, or server and desktop AV, Avast prices are just about the same as others.  It is a competative market.  If you want to get SBS and workstation protection from Avast, try this bundle: http://www.avast.com/eng/sbs_suite.html

I guess my point is that there is no "bait and switch" going on.  Avast is similar to most other AV products. 

mmurphy

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »
The license are related to the MS CALs.  So 8 users on SBS wouls be 10 CALs, and it would require an Avast license for 10 also.

Trend Micro is also licensed this way.  I double checked this, and Deanna at Trend said "minimum purchase of 5 users" for the server license.  If they told you that you can buy 2 license at a time, they are not being consistent.

Why would a small business wnat to do this?  Protection.  Most AV - even Avast- has some bundle of Server and Desktop to protect everything, and they have server only products.  When you look at server only AV, or server and desktop AV, Avast prices are just about the same as others.  It is a competative market.  If you want to get SBS and workstation protection from Avast, try this bundle: http://www.avast.com/eng/sbs_suite.html

I guess my point is that there is no "bait and switch" going on.  Avast is similar to most other AV products. 

Not at all true about the licensing from trend micro, I have a part number, and spoke to 2 different sales people with the EXACT same story, you can buy 2 licenses at a time.  I will purchase them this week.  That I beleive is due to the "competitive market" you mention. My workstations are protected and I need server protection only.  If Avast won't sell it to me at a reasonable price, them someone else will, that is what competition is all about.

If I needed workstation protection as well as server protection, again, why would I want to buy extra licenses that won't be used?  If I need 9 licenses then I do not want to buy 10, why should I?  Avast should take a long look at this issue, and sell me what I need, not extra licenses to sit around and expire not being used.

BTHOMSON2

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »
Why don't you hunt down the SBS Suite instead.  This seems to be the product that you want to purchase...it contains both the Server and Workstation AV Clients. 

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
HI,

you can see prices: http://www.avast.com/eng/calculator.html

:) If you buy an avast! Server Edition, it has a cost of 309.00 € and you can protect a Windows Server. 

:D If you buy 5 avast! SBS Standard Server Edition, it has a cost of 175.75 € and you can protect a Windows SBS Server. 

You can see that avast! has an important discount thinking in "Small Business" companies.

I think that it's a very good price to protect a Server so, I don't think that avast! are selling more licenses that you need. You target must be protect your server, not to buy one or 5 licenses. There are a lot of methods to buy different software: by server, by users, by processor...

To finish, if you buy 5 avast! SBS Standard Suite, it has a cost of 249.75 € and you are protecting your Windows SBS Server (including your MS Exchange) and 5 workstations, and you can install avast! Distributed Network Manger (ADNM) for a central management, it is free.

Who give me more?