Author Topic: Avast Installation Question With Nortons On System  (Read 3583 times)

Rickochet

Avast Installation Question With Nortons On System
« on: November 16, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
I have heard a lot of good things about Avast.  I am currently using Nortons NIS.  I have some issues with Symantec and would like to try Avast.  I have some questions about installing Avast without uninstalling NIS. 

I am a bit uncomfortable about unistalling NIS before I download Avast.  I am assuming I can download as "Save" and not run the installation until after I disable or uninstall Nortons. 

Do I have to uninstall Nortons completely or can I just disable it?  Or will Nortons turn itself back on after each restart? 

Thanks.

Rick
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:20:35 PM by Rickochet »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Installation Question With Nortons On System
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »
The short answer is you shouldn't install avast whilst you have another resident AV installed and I would say this goes even more so for Norton as it gets it hooks into everything and there is a high risk of conflict.

Well I would never recommend uninstalling a current AV before downloading and saving the other AV installation file and go off-line.

Disabling isn't enough, remember those hooks I mentioned, they are low level drivers and even when disabled they are active and it is these which could cause the conflict.

I would also suggest a visit to this page before doing anything to be fore armed, fore warned, etc.

After uninstalling NIS using add remove programs - A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rickochet

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
The short answer is you shouldn't install avast whilst you have another resident AV installed and I would say this goes even more so for Norton as it gets it hooks into everything and there is a high risk of conflict.

Well I would never recommend uninstalling a current AV before downloading and saving the other AV installation file and go off-line.

Disabling isn't enough, remember those hooks I mentioned, they are low level drivers and even when disabled they are active and it is these which could cause the conflict.

I would also suggest a visit to this page before doing anything to be fore armed, fore warned, etc.

After uninstalling NIS using add remove programs - A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Thanks for the information.  I have the Norton removal tool bookmarked and have my product keys recorded.  So do I unistall first using the windows unistall first then do the NRT or will the NRT do it all?  One question is I have GoBack installed.  I think it came on the Norton Systems work package but I had to select to install it.  I wonder if uninstalling the NIS will also uninstall GoBack which I like?

Thanks again,

Rick
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:59:33 PM by Rickochet »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:20:39 PM »
Yes, you should keep to the 'conventional' order of things first use the windows add remove programs, the uninstall tool is a belt and braces approach as there are a multitude of posts in the forums where remnants are left after a conventional add remove uninstall.

I can't say for certain, I have never used Norton or consequently the uninstall tool, but I believe it is selective as opposed to everything.

If completely removing NIS you will have to consider a firewall as avast doesn't include a firewall.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »
So do I unistall first using the windows unistall first then do the NRT or will the NRT do it all?
Use Control Panel Add/Remove first (for the antivirus part).

One question is I have GoBack installed.  I think it came on the Norton Systems work package but I had to select to install it.  I wonder if uninstalling the NIS will also uninstall GoBack which I like?
You can keep NIS and GoBack. They're avast compatible.
The best things in life are free.