Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of next avast update (now 4.8.1263)  (Read 90436 times)

onlysomeone

Re: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of next avast update (now 4.8.1256)
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
first i have to say that the new version is working quiet well!

one thing is that there is a wrong translation in the german version in the webshield provider-settings:
"Benutze intelligentes Datenflußüberwachung" has to be "Benutze intelligente Datenflussüberwachung"

additionally i would write "Aktiviere Webüberprüfung" or "Aktiviere Web Überprüfung" instead of "Schalte Web Überprüfung ein"

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:50:18 PM by onlysomeone »

onlysomeone

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »

This screenshot is from the Web Shield URL blocking feature.

i don't see such site in my browser (IE8, Google Chrome, Opera 9.6) if anything is blocked. in my case there only is a message in the right lower corner of my desktop that the connection has been blocked...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
Read my post again and visit 4th tab in the Web Shield provider settings :P ;)
My post and that feature are related.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

onlysomeone

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
oh, sorry i didn't read your post very close...!

i really like that idea of including this page to the malware-site-blocker...

it doesn't look very good if theres just something like "the page cannot be displayed" from the browser or something like that...
the user would immediately know what has happend (or not)!

EDIT: are you also going to include something like a phishingfilter? ( or in avast 5?! or never?)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:39:27 PM by onlysomeone »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »
This screenshot is from the Web Shield URL blocking feature. Would it be possible to include similar "block" message for Network SHield when it blocks malicious webpage (possibly in more red colored theme).

No, I'm afraid that's not technically possible.

I don't think that the blocking will occur often for most of the users... I mean, how many users visit infected sites?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:37:19 PM by igor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »
Something is seriously wrong with this new version of avast!. It happened for the second time (first one was right after the update to beta version, otherwise it never happened anything like this with last official version of avast!) that Firefox locked up completelly.
Firefox process is running but i can't terminate it or do anything with it. And before this happened, avast! decided to report to Security Center that it's disabled (even though it was in fact running) right after i finished installing new drivers for my X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard. Then i stopped it and enabled it back (so Security Center is reporting it correctly again). And then the above problem started.

Anything in Event Log?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »
Nope, nothing. Like everything is in perfect order.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
Hmm... maybe a full dump would reveal something (where the process is locked)...
But as I said, I'd rather wait for Vlk (who seems to be away right now) or Lukor - the URL blocker is not really my cup of tea ;)

gery

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2008, 04:43:43 PM »
i am using ONLINE ARMOR free firewall . does it go along with the latest avast?
thanks in advance

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
one thing is that there is a wrong translation in the german version in the webshield provider-settings:
"Benutze intelligentes Datenflußüberwachung" has to be "Benutze intelligente Datenflussüberwachung"

additionally i would write "Aktiviere Webüberprüfung" or "Aktiviere Web Überprüfung" instead of "Schalte Web Überprüfung ein"

OK, I'll change that.
If you'll have any other suggestions regarding the German translation, you can send them directly to me via PM. Thanks!

onlysomeone

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »
thanks in advance

like every times i'd say that there are no problems with any other software...

its stable but officially just a beta...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
thanks in advance
Yes it does.

its stable but officially just a beta...
I think a stable version was released some weeks ago for XP and Vista.
The best things in life are free.

gdiloren

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »
ONLINE ARMOR FW: I would deactivate HIPS first. Comodo: shut OFF Defense +. ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »

Any way to disable that "Do not show me this window anymore" line below? I hate it.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2008, 08:59:13 PM »
A bit more info about the new malware URL blocking feature:

1. the www.gooogle.com link is just a test URL that will be removed from the database before the product is officially released. Now I think it was not the smartest one to pick because meanwhile (it must've been in the last couple of weeks) Google itself bought the domain and is redirecting it to its main page (this is not a DNS thing, it's a HTTP "Object moved" thing I think).

2. Indeed, the feature is available only for NT based systems, i.e. NT4/2000/XP/Vista. I'm not sure we've actually tested it on Vista 64, I'll have that checked (but it is definitely supposed to work there once the product is officially released)

3. It is our intent to populate the URL database only with URL's hosting just malware (especially binary malware). This means that the current plan is to not use it for blocking pages. To that end, it doesn't make much sense to have Network Shield send a HTML content similar to the Web Shield blocking message (as it wouldn't be rendered in the browser anyways). Also, because of this, I'm not sharing solcroft's concerns (see above on page 1).

4. Technically, the feature works on both DNS and HTTP level. That is, full domains are blocked on DNS level while finer-grain URLs only on HTTP.

5. It's actually quite a good idea that we could use the Scanned Count / Last Scanned / Last Infected fields of the Network Shield provider to display info about the URL filtering engine. We'll look into that.

6. I don't believe it's necessary to actually have a separate check box that would turn URL blocking on/off - as frankly, the Network Shield isn't doing that much extra work besides the URL filtering now.

7. If you started experiencing unexpected lags/lockups in your browser after installing this beta, chances are it is indeed related to this new feature. It would be very useful if you could work with us on solving this issue, which we definitely hope to fix before the product is released.

BTW for those who're having issues with avast (not) registering in the Windows Security Center (WSC). I'd assume all of you are running Vista SP1. Starting with this new build, we're using the new Vista SP1 WSC interface. This is a new code, and may indeed contain some bugs. It would be helpful to get as much information about the issue as possible so that we can try to also resolve this asap.

On a side note, the WSC problem is in no way related to the Network Shield / URL blocking issues -- these are just two separate things.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:02:23 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.