Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of next avast update (now 4.8.1263)  (Read 90396 times)

rdmaloyjr

Re: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of next avast update (now 4.8.1256)
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2008, 09:11:14 PM »
I'm not having any problems with this beta, everythings fine. :)

I haven't tried IE or Firefox, though.  I'm an Opera user. :)

I'll try to get around to try ff & IE later. ::)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »
Hi Vlk what sort of info would you require ? I am running SP1 and have come across this problem.  But only on  reboots, once I stop and start the  standard shield provider it works untill the next boot

gdiloren

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »
I tried yesterday www.gooogle.com on siteadvisor and it screened green. Isn't it the WebShield job to prevent a site like that downloading malware? Isn't it redondant having Network Shield? A waste of resource??? :-X Is it going to slow the internet connection even more???
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:41:37 PM by gdiloren »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2008, 09:52:10 PM »
Hi Vlk what sort of info would you require ? I am running SP1 and have come across this problem.  But only on  reboots, once I stop and start the  standard shield provider it works untill the next boot

So, what exactly takes place? You reboot the system, and the WSC says that avast! is turned off?

I tried yesterday www.gooogle.com on siteadvisor and it screened green.

See my post above, item 1.

Isn't it the WebShield job to prevent a site like that downloading malware? Isn't it redondant having Network Shield? A waste of resource??? :-X Is it going to slow the internet connection even more???

Not really. I don't expect any slowdowns as it is relatively lightweight.
It's a new, powerful weapon against things like server-side polymorphism which is getting increasing popular among malware authors.

We can talk about this later, let's focus on fixing the existing issues so far.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

john7

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2008, 09:58:48 PM »
I have taken the beta off as it slowed internet searches  far too much. Turn network shield off and it was much better. This was with !E7, Opera and Firefox. Firewall is Comodo and Spyware Doctor. Laptop using XP Home fully updated. Uninstalled and pt old final version back on and working OK now.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2008, 10:15:20 PM »
I have taken the beta off as it slowed internet searches  far too much. Turn network shield off and it was much better. This was with !E7, Opera and Firefox. Firewall is Comodo and Spyware Doctor. Laptop using XP Home fully updated. Uninstalled and pt old final version back on and working OK now.

What OS are you using?
And was it locking the browser completely, or just somewhat slowing down things?
(I.e. was it like something RejZor described in this post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39392.msg330686#msg330686 ??)

Thanks
Vlk

john7

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2008, 11:07:05 PM »
Sorry I thought I put system in, XP Home fully updated. IE7 etc take for ever to load from links and to do searches. Turn off (next bit was lost between me and getting on post?!) Network shied and OK. Put old version back on and alls well.

Newly added 19/10/08  I and many others had the same problem when a version 5 of Spyware Doctor was  released. Many of us had to role back to version 4 to get workable internet searching. After a number of updated it was OK and has been since.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:52:50 AM by john7 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »
Yes that is correct Vlk.  On reboot Vista states that Avast is not running.  However checking services, all is well and the ball doth turn  ;D with incremental counts for files scanned at boot.  What is then required is to terminate Standard shield and then restart, just long enough to click the no button and then restart.  I am talking seconds here.  Windows then says it is working.

The only other programmes that I have running are SAS Pro and windows defender ( very light start)     

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2008, 11:25:44 PM »
I've also noticed one strange thing. When i try to open www.gooogle.com on my host system running Vista x64 i get no warning, just redirection to my local Google page. But if i type the same URL into browser inside VirtualPC 2007 (running WinXP Pro 32bit), i get avast! warning.
Why is so? Is Network Shield not working right under Vista (or 64bit version specifically)?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
Yes that is correct Vlk.  On reboot Vista states that Avast is not running.  However checking services, all is well and the ball doth turn  ;D with incremental counts for files scanned at boot.  What is then required is to terminate Standard shield and then restart, just long enough to click the no button and then restart.  I am talking seconds here.  Windows then says it is working.

The only other programmes that I have running are SAS Pro and windows defender ( very light start)     

My take is that this is caused by the fact that avast actually starts earlier than the WSC service, so WSC misses avast broadcasting its start.
Should be fairly enough to fix...

Cheers
Vlk

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2008, 11:42:40 PM »
Hm, but why does then this happens in intervals? I mean you disable and enable it, Security Center refreshes, but after some time it will again show wrong avast! status. Thats not exactly related to startup(bootup) only, if you ask me.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

onlysomeone

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2008, 01:08:19 AM »
now after testing the new beta for some time i definitely can say that everything is working perfectly on my vista sp1 64bit with outpost fw and spybot sd...

yours
onlysomeone

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2008, 01:29:11 AM »
BTW for those who're having issues with avast (not) registering in the Windows Security Center (WSC). I'd assume all of you are running Vista SP1. Starting with this new build, we're using the new Vista SP1 WSC interface. This is a new code, and may indeed contain some bugs. It would be helpful to get as much information about the issue as possible so that we can try to also resolve this asap.
Last boot, WSC did not recognize avast.
Need to disable avast and enable again.
Vista Business 32bits.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2008, 02:07:23 AM »
Problem with the new false positive reporting.

I did my weekly on-demand Standard, no Archive scan and found a tool on my system which has been there for some time. This file swsc.exe is contained in rdrivrem.zip (a tool), which has been on my system for some time. I believe this has been previously detected and also reported as an FP that was subsequently corrected.

I didn't report it using the new FP link on the alert as I was off-line at the time. So I left the results list displayed and connected, I then right clicked on the file in the list and chose scan, this time on the alert I clicked the link and filled the details, ticked the 'I know what I'm doing box' and clicked submit only to be told it was incomplete. I couldn't get it to work.

I closed the list and SUI and used ashQuick to scan the file and went through the same process again only to get the Incomplete window again (all fields that could have been entered had data, the top two fields being greyed out), so I clicked Submit again and ashQuick.exe fell over, see images.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2008, 02:17:13 AM »
Second issue.

After my weekly scan I had in the order of 190 files unable to be scanned 'password protected' the files were in my downloads\actioned folder which were previously no problem, one file I recall realalt180.exe had multiple password protected.

So I don't know if this is related to the new unpackers included in the beta, but the strange thing is a scan with ashQuick.exe didn't bat an eye lid at this file.

On-demand Standard Scan without archives:
I also noticed my total files scanned and the duration (twice as long as normal) was up quite a lot. So I don't know if that too would be related to the new unpackers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security