Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of next avast update (now 4.8.1263)  (Read 90378 times)

Sesame

Re: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of next avast update (now 4.8.1256)
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2008, 08:14:36 AM »
Hi.  I installed it on a Windows XP SP3 system.  Everything seems to be as usual.

No, it can't; the detected URLs are in the virus database, just like the ordinary detections.
Is there any site to test it? Maybe you can post an edited link ;)

You can try e.g. www.gooogle.com
I tested www.google.com.  When I type it in the address bar, Avast! doesn't warn anything but when I click the link in browsers, Avast! Network Shield warning pops up.  Is this how it supposed to work?  The router uses OpenDNS, instead of ISP.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »
Second issue.

After my weekly scan I had in the order of 190 files unable to be scanned 'password protected' the files were in my downloads\actioned folder which were previously no problem, one file I recall realalt180.exe had multiple password protected.

So I don't know if this is related to the new unpackers included in the beta, but the strange thing is a scan with ashQuick.exe didn't bat an eye lid at this file.

On-demand Standard Scan without archives:
I also noticed my total files scanned and the duration (twice as long as normal) was up quite a lot. So I don't know if that too would be related to the new unpackers.

can you post few lines related to the password protected archives from your log? can you see the difference against the previous state (what was in the log before the update to 1256 - was it "archive corrupted" or nothing?)? the unpackers added to this beta may affect many files, so it's quite possible to see the growing count of total files scanned, but that's hard to say without knowing anything about your data set characteristics (number and size of archives, plain PE files, packed PE files, installers)...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »
My issues with this beta so far:
- Security Center failing to detect proper avast! status under Vista 64bit (seems to work fine in VirtualPC with WinXP 32bit)
- complete Firefox lockups when i run Firefox (that don't occur with final official version of avast!)
- Network Shield does NOT detect www.gooogle.com under Vista 64bit (seems to work fine in VirtualPC with WinXP 32bit)

Now the guys at ALWIL seem to have an idea what to do with Security Center, but what about my other 2 problems that are far more serious than just Security Center failing to detect avast! status properly.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2008, 11:47:05 AM »
Hm, but why does then this happens in intervals? I mean you disable and enable it, Security Center refreshes, but after some time it will again show wrong avast! status. Thats not exactly related to startup(bootup) only, if you ask me.

Probably I didn't understand, I thought it was an OS startup issue only. So you're saying that on your system, WSC just suddenly starts thinking avast is disabled? Just like that - with no obvious trigger?

Problem with the new false positive reporting.

I didn't report it using the new FP link on the alert as I was off-line at the time. So I left the results list displayed and connected, I then right clicked on the file in the list and chose scan, this time on the alert I clicked the link and filled the details, ticked the 'I know what I'm doing box' and clicked submit only to be told it was incomplete. I couldn't get it to work.

Aha, OK, an archive. That looks like like a bug (the dialog is not prepared to handle archives I'm afraid). We'll fix that, thanks for reporting.

BTW you don't have to be online in order to create the submission. It will take place during the last VPS update.

Cheers
Vlk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:48:49 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
Yes, just like that. All the sudden WSC pops up. I disable and enable avast! and it's good for lets say 5-10 minutes after which WSC pops up again. I repeat the disable/enable process and i'm again good for those few minutes.

EDIT:
I'll reinstall beta again and see if it repeats...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
So it is 5-10 minutes?
Can you please measure how much it is, exactly? (and if the interval is always the same).

Thx
Vlk

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
I'm suspecting self-defense part but will try to find the actual pattern...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
After my weekly scan I had in the order of 190 files unable to be scanned 'password protected' the files were in my downloads\actioned folder which were previously no problem, one file I recall realalt180.exe had multiple password protected.

The easiest thing to do would be uploading the file in question to our FTP - I'd check it.
But yes, I'd assume these files are newly detected as archives by the updated unpackes, while they were not detected at all previously.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »
Is there any other URL apart from www.gooogle.com that i can try? Because i'm constantly getting direct redirects to www.google.si and thats really not helping me to debug Network Shield issues... if some other malicious URL is also not detected (have no clue which one might also be) then it's quite possibe Network Shield is not even doing its job...

drahnier

« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
So it is 5-10 minutes?
Can you please measure how much it is, exactly? (and if the interval is always the same).

Thx
Vlk

FWIW: For me (Vista SP1 32Bit) it's "just" a startup issue; no repeated security center popups. Terminating, then re-starting standard shield clears it once and for all (until next reboot that is).

Sesame

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
I take no reply is good news.  I guess the beta is working properly at my end.  I finished a system scan including archives with no problem at all.

Is there any other URL apart from www.gooogle.com that i can try? Because i'm constantly getting direct redirects to www.google.si and thats really not helping me to debug Network Shield issues... if some other malicious URL is also not detected (have no clue which one might also be) then it's quite possibe Network Shield is not even doing its job...
I'm not against the idea of possible another url candidate but, if you are redirected at all, then, it means it's not working properly.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
My issues with this beta so far:
- Network Shield does NOT detect www.gooogle.com under Vista 64bit (seems to work fine in VirtualPC with WinXP 32bit)

Hi RejZoR,

would you be willing to make a packet capture during the http://www.gooogle.com access?

The best way would be with the Wireshark packet capturing tool. It can be downloaded here: http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

This is a very nice tool, very stable a respected. Should work on Vista 64bit.

Capturing is fairly straight forward, I may guide you if needed. Just click Capture, try to access http://www.gooogle.com and the save the captured data from File/Save AS.

Thanks a lot,
I'll send you some more URLs to test via PM.

Lukas.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
My take is that this is caused by the fact that avast actually starts earlier than the WSC service, so WSC misses avast broadcasting its start.
Should be fairly enough to fix...
Darn you beat me to it I was going to suggest that

kubecj

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Guys, it seems there are few separated problems in this beta. I'm closing this thread, instead please open new threads in BETA board with links to the initial description here (or copying the most relevant info). Thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Re: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of next avast update (now 4.8.1263)
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »
BTW a new beta refresh is now available (4.8.1263)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39504.0

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:11:35 PM by Vlk »