Author Topic: how to retrieve an email deleted by avast4  (Read 7920 times)

jvangalder

how to retrieve an email deleted by avast4
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »
my settings for scanning email was set to just remove any possible infections.  i have now changed the setting so i'll see all emails but with a notice.  my problem is an email was lost and i want to know if avast keeps it in a file on my computer? 

i have microsoft outlook 2000.  your input would be appreciated.

thank you,

joni

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: how to retrieve an email deleted by avast4
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »
avast doesn't keep anything, you get the alert and choose an option, so it depends on what you choose.

Though if you are using the Outlook/Exchange provider/plug=in in Outlook 2000 you can say send it to a specific folder (say create one called suspect). Though if you elected to let it be delivered to your inbox then it should be in your inbox.

If that is your option and it isn't in the inbox, avast won't have a copy tucked away anywhere.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:08:03 PM »
my settings for scanning email was set to just remove any possible infections.  i have now changed the setting so i'll see all emails but with a notice.  my problem is an email was lost and i want to know if avast keeps it in a file on my computer? 
Shortly, not.
The best things in life are free.

jvangalder

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 02:19:27 AM »
i guess i was not very clear - i'm sure avast would not have a copy - i meant whether emails were stored on my computer.  i'm sure you would not be interested in any of mine :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 02:37:08 AM »
I meant avast the program not Alwil the company and neither keep copies of emails (outside of if you sent it to the chest) that is the preserve of your email client. Even infected emails sent to the chest are pretty much useless as trying to put them back (restore) into a .pst file could corrupt the .pst file with the potential loss of multiple emails.

MS outlook uses .pst files for storing emails, the problem being these are large archive files containing all your emails, an email isn't stored as a separate file, but contained inside the .pst files. These are not easy to search as they can't really be opened outside Outlook in anu user readable format.

So if you can't find it using the search/find function inside Outlook 2000, I believe it has gone to meet its maker and is not in the ether.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 02:49:57 AM »
i guess i was not very clear - i'm sure avast would not have a copy - i meant whether emails were stored on my computer.  i'm sure you would not be interested in any of mine :P
Yes, we got you... Again, no, no local copies (backup) and no remote ones.
It would be good if you have used Mozy as your online backup, you could restore the last version of your Outlook file. See my signature for more details.

jvangalder

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
thank you for your input.  - i'm not sure i understand about checking your signature - could you tell me what you mean?

appreciate your time.

joni

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
thank you for your input.  - i'm not sure i understand about checking your signature - could you tell me what you mean?

appreciate your time.

joni
Click in the 'Mozy' link in my signature, or follow, this link.

jvangalder

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
as we speak, i am doing the mozy remote backup.  thank you.  i've been concerned because i have photos from my son's trip to italy and would hate to lose them.

joni

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:43:22 AM »
as we speak, i am doing the mozy remote backup.  thank you.  i've been concerned because i have photos from my son's trip to italy and would hate to lose them.

joni
Many thanks... you've gave me (and received yourself) 512Mb extra from Mozy to backup ;)