Author Topic: Some questions about Virus Scan  (Read 3841 times)

phlob

Some questions about Virus Scan
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »
I was told my computer had malware by people on yahoo answers. Things like random beeps coming from the speakers or my current window become unselected (As if I've clicked over onto something else so I can't interact with my current window.) have been occurring more and more often lately. Also, things tend to freeze up every couple of minutes for about 5 seconds at a time. Someone recommended avast and I downloaded it and am now running a thorough scan (90335+ files scanned and only 1% done?)

Anyway, it just brought up pop up after popup after pop up of virus' found, like 6 in a row it was ridiculous. They're all in the chest now (something I dont entirely understand, why cant it just delete the virus?) So my problem, is that I have work in about 5 hours (something tells me this will still be running by that time.) and I want to know if I Can leave the scan running while I'm at work, and what will happen to all the pop ups that say a virus has been found? will the scan continue to run while that pop up waits my directions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Some questions about Virus Scan
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:26:20 PM »
First - Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

Second - These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

- There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar virus test file at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. So you should have a list of files waiting your action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »
 :)  Hi Phlob :

In your "situation", it would be wiser to run a "Full Scan" of a product like the
 FREE Version of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from www.superantispyware.com
 AND/OR the "Free" Ver of "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" from
 www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php as those 2 programs run til the end, then
 present a "List" of what was "detected" and ask what you would like to do
 with what was "found" .

phlob

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »
thanks spirit, i'll look into those. But now  I'm afraid I have another question. The full scan lasted about 3 hours and I have somewhere around viruses or files or whatever in the chest, what am I supposed to do now? Because my computer hasn't been running better at all.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »

Welcome to the forums, phlob.   :)

Please download HijackThis from the link below. Do not download HJT to the desktop but instead download it into it's own folder on the hard drive.

Run the program but do not make any fixes and then post the log results using the "copy & paste" method. It will probably take more than one post to be able to get the complete log posted.

OR, you can post it as an attachment to your post by clicking on "Additional Options..." below left of the posting box.  Someone will review your log and then offer help.

http://filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

phlob

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 06:33:50 PM »
Is there anything I can do with just avast or does avast only find problems and not fix them? I just don't want to keep downloading dozens of things, because Avast was like the 3rd thing that I've downloaded so far.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »

Not any program is perfect and some programs specialize in specific types of malware. Although avast has found virus items, there may be remnants which can also cause problems and might be hidden.

I suggested HJT because you gave us no virus names that were found even though you are getting pop-ups that are telling you what virus are being found. Nor have you given us information about your OS, other security programs, etc.

Regardless of what or how many programs we might ask you to download, you must be willing to help us with information, scanning results, etc in order for us to help you solve your problem(s).

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:55:20 PM by CharleyO »