Author Topic: update downloads  (Read 2616 times)

digitalsafari

update downloads
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:38:54 PM »
we have 9 machines in various places that we need to keep updated but internet connections are limited and slow  . . is it possible to download the latest definitions on to say a USB key  drive once only and then update each machine ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: update downloads
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:02:12 PM »
avast! VPS Update - Manual Download - For updating an off-line systems, download using a system with internet connection, save the file to a CD or USB drive and transfer it to the off-line system and run it to update the VPS signatures file. - For Linux/Unix version, you can download this particular file from http://files.avast.com/files/latest.400.vps.

There is an undocumented work around so you don't have to download the full vps 400 file -  Dial-up or off-line Incremental VPS update work around for off-line system. The quote below works, tested on off line system requires a reboot for the WSC to also recognise the updated VPS.

Ok, i tested exactly what i suggested and it appears it works. I've used old installation from May 2008 in virtual machine. Copied 400.vps and clnr0.dll from host system to VM system and avast! showed signature date identical to the one on host system. And that even without system reboot. Now i don't know if everything works as it suppose to but it seems to be a good start.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security