Author Topic: widows defender  (Read 4359 times)

cooljays

widows defender
« on: October 18, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
 :P is this worth keeping it finds nothing and i just think it takes up memory and slows down my pc.
What do you guys think?  ???
Many thanks :D

Well done avast at vb 100 in Oct.
Keep up the good work ;D  ;D

Oh also my mother in law as seen the light and ditched norton for avast even after PC WORLD said new computer was needed it had 4 virus infections that norton missed. :o

ardvark

Re: widows defender
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:29:46 AM »
Hi...

You didn't mention what operating system you're using. If Windows Vista, it's integrated into the OS itself and can't be easily uninstalled. However, you can disable it using the instructions here...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/22/how-to-disable-remove-and-uninstall-windows-defender-in-vista/

If you're using Windows XP, I believe you can uninstall it from "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:32:36 AM by ardvark »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
Already discussed with 13 posts:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39277

cooljays

Re: windows defender
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
 :)  many thanks will use the search engine next time.
oh for future reference still on xp pro with service pack 3.
have the disks to go to vista business.
used the down grade option and will try vista in dual boot mode at some point.
tend to keep computers like cars if its not broke then donot fix it. 8)
still unable to understand why norton is so poor and slow and how can avast be so good and fast??
still pleased it is free and very good  ;D ;D ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
tend to keep computers like cars if its not broke then donot fix it.
If all humans thought like that we all would still be living huddled together somewhere on the plains of Africa.

I like making things better.

still unable to understand why norton is so poor and slow and how can avast be so good and fast??
That's because Norton is like the Titanic that was thought to be unsinkable and was built from inferior steel and building methods while Avast! is like a modern destroyer with modern steel and better building methods.

I do not have the luxury of being able to afford a Vista capable system at this time.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:33:53 PM by YoKenny »

jgarcia1

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
YoKenny

ifferentThis may be a different topic, but I can not find how to open a new forum and maybe you can help  I have a new laptop with Windows Vista and I installed Avast but the Resident Protection does not install.  I have tried to unistall it and reinstall it twice but it does not work. Pls help

wyrmrider

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:24:59 AM »
The resident protection Windows Defender works well
I would not disable or uninstall unless you have a carefully chosen replacement
If you want to upgrade something upgrade the firewall
and the
windows Live One Care Scanner also works well
big surprise to me but true
Windows defender can be a pain in the ass but it does protect from unintentional downloads and installs

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »
YoKenny

ifferentThis may be a different topic, but I can not find how to open a new forum and maybe you can help  I have a new laptop with Windows Vista and I installed Avast but the Resident Protection does not install.  I have tried to unistall it and reinstall it twice but it does not work. Pls help

How to start a New Topic of your own  - Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the avast! 4.x Home/Pro forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security