Author Topic: Scanning of .avi files fails  (Read 4218 times)

tron

Scanning of .avi files fails
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:27:41 AM »
Whenever I try to scan an .avi file, the scan window "freezes".  Can't avast scan that type of a file?  I run avast! home 4.8.1229 (still under Demo licence) under WinXP.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Scanning of .avi files fails
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:52:19 AM »
is this problem reproducible on any .avi file (on your machine) or on one concrete only?

olddog

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
If you are referring to right clicking on the .avi file and using the avast scan from there, then I have no problem doing that on any of my PC's, one with XP-Home SP2, one with XP-Home SP3 and 1 with XP-Pro SP3, all using Avast 4.8.1229 with current VPS updates.

When the scan starts it brings up the avast quick scanner dialogue. Keep in mind that .avi files generally range from big to enormous, particularly when the drives are NTFS format, depending on whether you are scanning them in the raw form, or after they have been cut up in an editing process (which will generally result in a larger number of smaller .avi files). Anyhow the point here is that it may appear to be not getting anywhere when the file is huge, and particularly if the PC is a bit slow, because the 0% scan progress does not increment in time with the scan, it goes straight from 0% to 100% at the end of the scan.  Give it some time and you should find it will complete the scan.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:05:51 AM by olddog »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »
Give it some time and you should find it will complete the scan.  

Yes, I was gonna post about this, but you was faster than me :)

I tried a BIG avi-file now, and it seems like the scan freeze, but it just took a LONG time.

So, to the topic starter, give the scan some time, make some coffee while you wait ;)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
I agree with Bluesman and olddog, I used avast to scan a 738MB .mp4 and It seems that Avast freezes, but in reality it's just taking a long time to scan.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

kubecj

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:29:34 AM »
Is this a new behaviour?
Is it reproducible (ie. in two consecutive scans, does it almost-freeze?)?
Is it only a problem of context menu scanner, or can it be done from avast's GUI?

tron

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »
You were correct, it doesn't freeze but it takes a Looong time (way longer than AVG Free for the same files).

-This behavior is not new, it was present from the beginning (from installation).
-It is reproducible - happens every time on diff avi files.
-Occurs from the context menu scanner and from avast's GUI.

avast! Quick Scanner once starting shows scan progress of 0%, then takes forever and then disappears without giving any report once done...

My system is a Pentium III @ 996 MHz & 384 MB of RAM with WinXP Pro sp2 and all .avi files I tried scanning were either DivX or Xvid under 760 Mb; one such file takes about 4 min to be scanned from the context menu Quick Scanner and a directory of three such files - 2 GB in size took just over 10 min to be scanned from avast's GUI.

1.  My system is old but no other virus scanner I used takes this long for a comparable scan.  Why is avast so much slower (with avi's) than the competition?
2.  Is there any way to have Quick Scanner leave a report window on the screen once it finishes (even if all is clean)?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:42:31 AM »
2.  Is there any way to have Quick Scanner leave a report window on the screen once it finishes (even if all is clean)?

avast Settings > Common > check "Show results of Explorer Extension"