Author Topic: 64 Bit Vista  (Read 4413 times)

Joe S

64 Bit Vista
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:06:50 AM »
It's time  to see about a new computer so I checked out best Buy and Circuit City a couple weeks ago. They both seem to be pushing 64 bit Vista machines heavily now. Is 64 bit Vista finally ready for everyday users? I don't have any old hardware to use so that won't be a problem. I know many old programs won't run on it. I intend to load XP Pro on a virtual pc for some I'm fond of.
Joe

ardvark

Re: 64 Bit Vista
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:59:30 AM »
It's time  to see about a new computer so I checked out best Buy and Circuit City a couple weeks ago. They both seem to be pushing 64 bit Vista machines heavily now. Is 64 bit Vista finally ready for everyday users? I don't have any old hardware to use so that won't be a problem. I know many old programs won't run on it. I intend to load XP Pro on a virtual pc for some I'm fond of.
Joe

Hi...

Let me address your questions one by one...

"Is 64 bit Vista finally ready for everyday users?"

For the most part, yes. However, you will need to be prepared if some (32 bit) applications you try to install have glitches of some kind or don't work correctly. Sometimes they won't even work at all. You will just have to see. When you do go to download (and/or install) programs, try to look for x64 Vista files and drivers first! 64 bit computing is still somewhat in its infancy, in my opinion, and it will take a while for software manufacturers and writers to include x64 bit versions on a regular, consistent basis.

"I know many old programs won't run on it."

Many won't but I've had a few programs that I thought wouldn't even begin to work, do just fine. I have found this to be quite random.

"I intend to load XP Pro on a virtual pc for some I'm fond of."

I can't guarantee this will work but it might. The best option in my mind is to keep your old system with XP Pro and keep (and use) the applications you must have on it in case they don't work with your new system. For one thing, virtual software uses its drivers for the operating system, not the ones you have installed on your current system. From what I've found, this includes no 3D acceleration (should you need this capability,) and the OS may lack other functionality that you may be used to. Also, some of the hardware options on the VM software are not always easily understood so you will need to know how to configure it, including sound. If you still want to try the virtual option, the VM I use is VirtualBox. It's free and from my experience with it, it does pretty well. You can download it...

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

If I may ask, what is the "make and model" of the computer you're considering? If at all possible, try to get at least Windows Vista Home Premium if you can. If not, you can upgrade your copy (through the OS) later if you desire.

Hope this helps... :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:04:38 AM by ardvark »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:41:25 AM »
All 32bit applications (apart some system utilities) work just fine under Vista 64bit.
In fact they are usually even a bit faster! Been using 64bit Vista for almost a year now and i wouldn't go back. Ever.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

onlysomeone

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
All 32bit applications (apart some system utilities) work just fine under Vista 64bit.
In fact they are usually even a bit faster! Been using 64bit Vista for almost a year now and i wouldn't go back. Ever.

i absolutely confirm that!

(I love Vista (64bit) ;D )

ardvark

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »

Hi...

This has not been my experience, hence what I've written to Joe S. ::)

"Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside" and "Railroad Tycoon 3" are two such applications and who's inoperability in Vista, let alone x64, was confirmed by the manufacturer or retailer.

Overall, I share your guys' sentiments on x64, extremely fast and from what I understand, a new security feature.

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:04:33 PM by ardvark »

zone12

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:33:39 AM »
if your goona start using windows vista i suggest you delete the norton anti virus thing and put avast on frist then remove the hp games thing asuming your goona buy an HP

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback I haven't decided yet. I was looking at HP but I may check with a couple places that build locally. I'd really like to get a pc that has an actual install disk not just a restore disk. It's nice to slipstream all the hotfixes when you do have to reinstall . I've slipstreamed XP for quite a while but haven't investigated Vista that much.
Joe

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:07:28 AM »
I was looking at HP but I may check with a couple places that build locally. I'd really like to get a pc that has an actual install disk not just a restore disk.

Hi...

That probably would be the best route if you want to buy the retail version from Microsoft, not OEM, since most computers manufacturers only deal with OEM versions.
I'm assuming you know (and accept) it will cost a bit more. ;) Buying a retail version of Windows gives you more portability and install rights than the OEM's, although I don't know how much has changed with Vista in that respect.

Also, most, if not all, computer manufacturers these days don't provide the restore CD with the computer upon purchase, usually just giving you a restore partition on the hard drive. A person either has to order the restore CD if the manufacturer offers one or have a copy (of the OS on their system) burnt to a blank CD. :(

Best Regards...