Author Topic: What is the best download accelerator?  (Read 16080 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What is the best download accelerator?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 02:00:10 AM »
Yes it is Tech. I'm using it.
Well, why don't they update their own webpage?
What is this that it won't be running in background? How could it intercept the download? I suppose it will work as a Firefox extension then... loaded when the browser is loader, am I right?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 02:22:03 AM »
I'm using it with IE7, as soon as you click on a link to download, it pops up instead of the normal windows pop up. the only thing I had to change was adding MP4 to the list of things to download. ( I watch a lot of podcasts). I don't know why the page you linked to doesn't show Vista, But the one I linked to does.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:25:20 AM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 02:27:05 AM »
I'm using it with IE7, as soon as you click on a link to download, it pops up instead of the normal windows pop up.
As the same as Free Download Manager...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 02:53:03 AM »
I have just been trying download express, the free version, it doesn't give an option for a default location for downloads, it just seems to dump them in the my documents folder. So it looks like the hook to get you to buy the advanced features.

Though from the web site it doesn't even seem that that option is available on the paid advanced option. So if this is the case and I can't stop it dumping the ***P in the my documents folder it won't a long trial it will be history.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »
I have just been trying download express, the free version, it doesn't give an option for a default location for downloads, it just seems to dump them in the my documents folder. So it looks like the hook to get you to buy the advanced features.

Though from the web site it doesn't even seem that that option is available on the paid advanced option. So if this is the case and I can't stop it dumping the ***P in the my documents folder it won't a long trial it will be history.

That's odd, It asks me where I want the download to go.

hines232

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 04:33:53 AM »
Download Express is a free or paid?
Did you put in a command line for checking for virus ?? (on the down loaded file),  I presume you are using Avast. What command line did you put in ??? Thanks

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 06:00:29 AM »
Download Express is a free or paid?
Did you put in a command line for checking for virus ?? (on the down loaded file),  I presume you are using Avast. What command line did you put in ??? Thanks

What I did, click on set AV check, then go to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\AshQuick.exe. What happens is after the file is downloaded, The same dialogue box comes up as if you right clicked on a file and chose scan with Avast.

( if there's another way to do this please someone let me know)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »

That's odd, It asks me where I want the download to go.

That is different to what I said, in that it does pop-up a window for where to save the file, but that 'default' location is the my documents folder.

I don't want downloads in the my documents folder and I don't want to have to change the location every time I download a file, hence my requirement to 'change' the 'default location' so I don't have to constantly navigate to my downloads folder.

This is the only download manager I have come across that doesn't allow you to change the default download location and it is now history and Orbit still remains my download manager.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »
This is the only download manager I have come across that doesn't allow you to change the default download location
Well... a must have feature in a download manager...

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »
That is different to what I said, in that it does pop-up a window for where to save the file, but that 'default' location is the my documents folder.

I don't want downloads in the my documents folder and I don't want to have to change the location every time I download a file, hence my requirement to 'change' the 'default location' so I don't have to constantly navigate to my downloads folder.

This is the only download manager I have come across that doesn't allow you to change the default download location and it is now history and Orbit still remains my download manager.

What I meant was that Yes, the pop-up a window for where to save the file come up, but it remembers the last place I downloaded a file to. (Sorry, I should have been more clear)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:55:49 PM by marc57 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »
Well I don't know why, but it kept bringing up the my documents location on the few downloads I did. It's history now I wasn't to impressed with it when compared with Orbit or some of the others I have used, it doesn't seem to have much development last updated in 2007.

Rafel

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
I think FDM or Orbit are pretty configurable for average user.
Orbit isn't resident if you choose the right settings ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 02:33:43 AM »
but it remembers the last place I downloaded a file to.
Even after booting?

Orbit isn't resident if you choose the right settings ;)
How? How does it work in this way? Like an extension (add-on)?

don67

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »
I'm using 3 download manager ;D orbit, downloadthemall!, and flashgot.... i really like the flashgot 'cuz it will give you option to choose downloader ;D downloadthemall! and flashgot is firefox add-ons.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
but it remembers the last place I downloaded a file to.
Even after booting?

Yep, But David was right to get rid of it, When downloading a large file (650+MB) it would start to move extremely slow and almost freeze and after the download was done, Both of my cores would peg at 100% until i did a reboot. So it's gone and I'm trying FDM now.