Author Topic: A9 Installer Virus on a Mac plus Avast issues.  (Read 11936 times)

baci

A9 Installer Virus on a Mac plus Avast issues.
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:07:20 PM »
I posted this over in the virus section, but someone suggested I post it over here as well.

Original Post any help would be appreciated.

Hi All,

I am a new user to Avast and also a little inexperienced using a Mac.  My daughter opened a link on a google search that downloaded the A9 Installer virus onto her computer.  Actually there are 5 .exe files on her desktop, so I am not sure if it has launched or not, but they are on her computer. I purchased and downloaded avast! antivirus Mac Edition Version 2.74R0 (Servicekit 1.41).

The problem that I am having is that when avast is doing a full system scan for viruses, it gets hung up and it seems to get hung up on the same file each time.  I have tried to scan in Safe Mode as well and get the same problem.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ETA:  Running OS 10.4
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:12:28 PM by baci »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: A9 Installer Virus on a Mac plus Avast issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:31 AM »
I posted this over in the virus section, but someone suggested I post it over here as well.

Original Post any help would be appreciated.

Hi All,

I am a new user to Avast and also a little inexperienced using a Mac.  My daughter opened a link on a google search that downloaded the A9 Installer virus onto her computer.  Actually there are 5 .exe files on her desktop, so I am not sure if it has launched or not, but they are on her computer. I purchased and downloaded avast! antivirus Mac Edition Version 2.74R0 (Servicekit 1.41).

The problem that I am having is that when avast is doing a full system scan for viruses, it gets hung up and it seems to get hung up on the same file each time.  I have tried to scan in Safe Mode as well and get the same problem.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ETA:  Running OS 10.4

Hi!

The files are exe files (Windows executable) so they are windows viruses, not Mac viruses. Unless you have Windows virtualization software such as VMWare Fusion these files are no threat.  Just delete them and run a scan to find any other infected files.

Avast for Mac detects both Mac and Windows malware to help prevent spreading windows viruses to other windows users.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

baci

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
Thanks Mac.  Any idea why the scan locks up and always on the same file?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 03:16:01 AM »

Might help to apply the engine patch detailed here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36197.msg303743#msg303743
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

Might help to apply the engine patch detailed here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36197.msg303743#msg303743

Yes,
the path is worht try if you have some insanely long paths in the scanning area. Otherwise, it might be different problem.

Just try to copy the culprit-file somewhere (to your desktop,for example), and scan it again (drag and drop to avast is the easiest method:). it it hangs too, even with the patched engine, then, please, send the file (zipped with password) directly to me (cimbal(at)avast.com).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)