Author Topic: Virus Updates cause Problems  (Read 3773 times)

xmasbabe

Virus Updates cause Problems
« on: April 18, 2004, 02:40:54 AM »
I have Windows XP Home Edition SP1 (absolutely up-to-date), AOL 9.0 and Kerio 4.0.16. 512M and 3GHz so no problems with power.
Whenever there is an auto update of the virus database, it affects the programs running on the pc. They tend to function correctly until internet access is required and then the m/c can lock up requiring a restart.
You may say it is AOL 9.0 or Kerio 4.0.16 but this also occurs with AOL 8.0 and Kerio 2.1.5 combination.
It is not due to virus, adware, spyware, malware as I have that very tight.
This problem seems to have been introduced since the latest program version.
Anybody experienced this or have any ideas.
Regards, Zoe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Virus Updates cause Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 04:50:58 AM »
Whenever there is an auto update of the virus database...
This problem seems to have been introduced since the latest program version.

Are you talking about virus database updates or program (major) updates?
I have no problem with both but maybe we can do some research about your problem...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

xmasbabe

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 01:07:07 PM »
Sorry, perhaps I should have been a little more specific.
I have the virus database set to auto-update and the program update set to notify.
Since the March Build of Avast!4, whenever the Virus Database is automatically updated, I find that my system locks up almost immediately when I use the net. Non net usage appears to function ok until I use the net.
I haven't checked this on the latest version of the program 4.1.389 as there have been no Virus Database updates since I updated the program.
A reboot sorts the problem.
I cannot be sure it is to do with Avast anti-virus program but it seems suspicious. Whenever I reboot I find that there is a new version of the Virus Database.
I could equally agree that it may be due to AOL 9.0 and Kerio 4.0.16 Firewall but I have also had the problem when I reverted to AOL 8.0 and Kerio 2.1.5.
It is annoying rather than a showstopper.
I keep my XP system right up-to-date, and use various anti-(spyware, adware and malware) software, also kept up-to-date.

xmasbabe

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »
I suspect that it may be an interaction between the avast.setup exe that always seems to change and the Kerio Firewall (both 2.1.5 and 4.0.16). I hope this helps

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 05:20:39 AM »
Whenever I reboot I find that there is a new version of the Virus Database.

Probably something get corrupt in your installation... an update could be failed.
Can you use the option Repair of the Control Panel? Hope this help  :-\
The best things in life are free.

xmasbabe

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 10:14:41 AM »
Since the latest Program Update there has now been another Virus Database Update. This did not cause any problems. So will close the issue. Thanks for your assistance