Author Topic: Avast! keeps some programs from placing an icon in the system tray  (Read 5245 times)

SuperMike

Hi,  I have a problem with Avast! that I could not find mentioned in the forums.

For some reason Avast! stops some programs from putting an icon in the system tray after a reboot.  The programs are atnotes, and pop peeper.  I first noticed it after I first installed Avast!,  and fixed it by reinstalling the programs.   However, when I update Avast! the same problem returns- forcing me to reinstall the 2 programs.
Is this a known bug?  Is there a workaround for it?
Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast! keeps some programs from placing an icon in the system tray
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 05:12:10 AM »
Hi,  I have a problem with Avast! that I could not find mentioned in the forums.

For some reason Avast! stops some programs from putting an icon in the system tray after a reboot.  The programs are atnotes, and pop peeper.  I first noticed it after I first installed Avast!, and fixed it by reinstalling the programs. However, when I update Avast! the same problem returns- forcing me to reinstall the 2 programs. Is this a known bug?  Is there a workaround for it? Thanks.

I used ATNotes with easy in a system with avast. Do not use pop peeper.
Maybe the problem could be solved with Startup Delayer (http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay). I do recommend: you will be able to control the sequence on which windows starts the programs. I think avast is not the problem but your system is 'stressed' when trying to load ATNotes and failed. A sequence will correct this.

Startup boot is a problem for many users. Dozens of additional programs try to start simultaneously, blocking each other and wasting your time. Isn’t it annoying? This problem must be solved immediately, and I know, how to do this. Don’t let your OS commit a suicide, loading various applications simultaneously, delay their startup! Startup Delayer - and that’s the program, which will help you. All you have to do is to remember programs, which start along with the boot, and choose them in Startup Delayer’s menu. You can also choose the time they will start their work after the boot. Comfortable interface, clever idea, useful program – all these words are about Startup Delayer. As for me, I’m really glad to use this program, especially for free. The only disadvantage of Startup Delayer is that you have to remember, which programs are supposed to start along with the boot. Probably, the program has another function, to train you memory, for example. Don’t waste your time, staring at “jumping icons”, download and install this very useful tool, avoiding the startup problem.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 10:02:50 AM »
avast! blocking another app to put an icon into the system tray? That really sound strange.
What exactly do you mean - the program will not start at all, or it starts, only the tray icon is not visible? What operating system do you have, anyway?

If only the icons aren't visible, then I think it's rather a problem with your tray... maybe it gets too big (too many icons) and some of them get hidden?

SuperMike

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 09:56:48 PM »
Hi.  Using XP Pro.  When I start my system in the morning, ATNotes (a post-it notes type program) and Pop-Peeper (POP 3 email checker) start in addition to Avast, ZoneAlarm, & Proxomitron (web filter).  I noticed that  occasionally (usually when the Avasts VDB has been updated) AT Notes will give me a message saying: "Could not load System Tray Icon", although it is loaded and  Pop Peeper will simply not show up (although it too, is running in the backgorund).  My fix for it has been to reinstall both programs.  After I do, they work fine until avast is updated again.
Since I am particular about how many programs sit in my system tray, I limit the number.  ZoneAlarm and Proxomitron have had no problems whatsoever starting.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I installed AtNotes and  Pop Peeper after installing Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 05:09:11 AM »
Since I am particular about how many programs sit in my system tray, I limit the number.

How?  ::) I suppose you just 'remove' some startup itens...

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I installed AtNotes and  Pop Peeper after installing Avast?

I don't think so. At least for ATNotes (which I use, great freeware  ;D).
Windows does not start the programs in a regular sequence... It varies all the time  :(
I can only by-pass startup problems with Startup Delayer. Definetively, Windows cannot show the system tray icon because cannot load the program at that time, the system were too busy  :'(
The best things in life are free.

SuperMike

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 01:10:33 AM »
Technical wrote:
How?  ::) I suppose you just 'remove' some startup itens...

If I install a program that installs an icon in my system tray, I uninstall it unless I really like/need the program.  

I took your advice and downloaded the start up delayer.  At first I didn't want to (I don't think that you should solve a software problem by throwing more software at it  ;D  ) I gotta say though, it seems to be working.  I guess I will find out if the problem is totally solved when Avast downloads an update.  I notice now that the icon problem only happens when Avast updates itself or its definitions (not just by starting and checking for an update)  

Well, thanks for the advice.  Hopefully it works.