Author Topic: WSC  (Read 4487 times)

ronnycopeh

WSC
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »
I would like to know why Avast is listed under Malware (Avast antivirus-on) and now allowing Superantispyware to be listed? Its also listed under Virus protection, windows defender is also listed but turned off. Just a question, not a problem, thanks

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: WSC
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »
What "list" do you mean?
More info please.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:34:20 AM »
I mean subject windows security center

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:53:44 AM »
What is reported in the Windows Security Centre is Microsoft-dependent, and only peripherally to do with the software vendor.
I have no idea of the hoops that have to be jumped through, but there is an involved procedure to go through for a software vendor to have a product qualify for registration in the WSC.
Some firewalls, for example, work good as gold, but are not recognised. (Kerio 2.15, for instance.)
Many antispywares are not listed at all. Ironically Windows Defender, a MS product, is listed, even though it isn't (reportedly) as effective as a lot of other 3rd party applications.
Go figure.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 02:08:24 AM »
Thanks, you're right but until I update to the beta SuperAntispyware was showing and the moderator or developer said at their forum that some other software was
"My technical "hunch" is that one of the other products is removing us from the database. We'll have to look into it."
not a problem just wanted to know

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »
Just had a look at your thread there, http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2018 and I can say with fairly high certainty that it will not be Avast that is affecting what is displayed in the WSC.
Not being a Vista user I don't know for sure, but, as an example, Threatfire is recognised as an AV in the WSC (XP), probably because it uses AV definitions as part of its MO, and WSC reports both applications - Avast and Threatfire - as active in the AV category.
There is no reason for Avast to turn off indications for another AS in the WSC.
That sort of behaviour is more the realm of a rogue application, or it could be a software bug.
Be interested to see what Nick has to say about it at their forum.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 02:34:52 AM »
Thanks but soon as I realize threatfire was being recognize as a antivirus I remove it

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 02:38:33 AM »
I was just using that as an example. There is no reason to remove it just because it is reported in the WSC. It co-exists with other AV's; it has a different operation.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 02:47:11 AM »
Thanks for all your help, but it was a few reason and others that I deleted some days ago. I'm still well protected. When I ask for help or opinions I always take all reply in consideration.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 02:49:10 AM »
No worries.
You're welcome.
Post back here or PM me if the answer is revealed at the SAS forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:56:12 PM »
Kerio 2.15
I think it's not Vista compatible... so WSC on Vista won't recognize it. Am I wrong?

ronnycopeh, see how to reset WSC: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
The best things in life are free.

ronnycopeh

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply but superantispware is vista compatible and I know it was recognize before I update to Vista beta and the problem with Avast not showing, then Superantispyware was showing but once the refresh then Avast bump it and place itself along side window defender (turn off) in malware protection. I know they'll get it worked out on some end.

Well I just reset the security center from instruction here and rebooted and guess what, antivirus is not found and under Malware superantispyware is listed but as long as I know avast is working and updated it don't bother me
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:38:01 PM by ronnycopeh »