Author Topic: Problems with running automatic rootkit  (Read 3476 times)

USA User

Problems with running automatic rootkit
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:47:41 PM »
Hi all,

I am a new avast user, been about a month and it seems the automatic rootkit is not working or maybe it doesn't run sometimes. In the little over a month that I have been using avast I have 3 messages about it not running in the Log Viewer due to it didn't complete successfully during it's last run.

Is this something to worry about? Is this something that runs all the time and getting 3 messages in a little over a month is no big thing?

I tried to see where it's located to run it and see if a message comes up or it runs OK but I don't see it in the menus. I am running the freeware version if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problems with running automatic rootkit
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »
It runs (depending on your OS ?) 8 minutes after boot. So it isn't running all the time, if you use the Simple User Interface to do an on-access scan, the Standard and Thorough sensitivity scans also do a rootkit scan.

What are the errors/warnings from the log viewer ?

The anti-rootkit log is here C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswAr.log, it only retains information on the last scan and it only takes a few seconds to run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

USA User

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:55:50 AM »
Thanks for the info!

It seemed to run today without any problems and the last error in the log about the rootkit scan was on 10/23/08. The error only states for all 3 times "Automatic rootkit scan was not started as it didn't complete successfully during the last run". The second time happened 4 days before that and the first happened a few weeks ago.

And I believe you answered my question as to how often it runs. Since I turn off the computer it does the rootkit scan whenever I turn the computer back on. It also does the rootkit scan anytime I run a manual scan on my system. I wasn't sure if it ran on a set schedule of every couple days or whatever and was fouling up when it ran.

Thanks again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 02:01:27 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security