Author Topic: kiwee toolbar removal  (Read 9650 times)

burkhardt1952

kiwee toolbar removal
« on: October 26, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »
Some time ago, I made the mistake of downloading a seemingly innocent program called "kiwee toolbar" masked as smileys. Well, I've run several anti-spyware/adware utilities and the kiwee toolbar keeps coming up as a guilty culprit. The standard removal process in Windows Vista fails to remove this annoying program. One message says: "The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" but I am the system administrator and I have done no such thing. An additional message pops up that says under Installed Updates: "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Kiwee Toolbar. Please contact your system administrator." I've tried Malwarebytes Anti malware to remove this program and nothing seems to work. Please help me remove this dangerous, insidious, predatory piece of sh*t pseudo-program! >:(   Thanks!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: kiwee toolbar removal
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »
I suggest (you can, but not necessarily should, skip the steps you already done):

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Also try Googling Toolbar remover and see if you find a specific tool to remove it.
The best things in life are free.