Author Topic: VRDB update problems  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
VRDB update problems
« on: April 18, 2004, 06:11:26 PM »
You can setup the VRDB to update when the computer is idle, or when screen saver is active. None works here :-(

Explaination:

On Win98 and earlier without ACPI BIOS support the CPU runs full speed all the time. On NT and newer the CPU runs "halt" instructions on the idle thread, helping cooling down the CPU when not used. To do the same on Win98 and earlier you can use CPUidle or another utility that graps all "idle" time and runs the "halt" instructions (it actually works, the CPU is much cooler, and fan goes slower).

BUT since CPUidle uses all "idle" time avast! thinks there is no idle time and does not start the VRDB update when idle

And for the screen-saver. I do not use any .scr screensaver (animation, blank screen etc). But only use the "DPMS off" (turning the video signal off), and that doesn't start the VRDB update neither it seems - can you fix this maybe ?

Or is there another way for me to get it running wither when idle or when the monitor is off (no video) ?

www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:VRDB update problems
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 09:54:39 AM »
The "idleness", detected by avast!, is "not typing on the keyboard and not moving the mouse". It doesn't matter what the CPU is actually doing - so thing like CPUidle shouldn't have any influence.

As for turning down the monitor... it may be quite a problem. If the (avast!) screensaver is set, Windows simply call it to activate when the preset time has elapsed. However, if only switching off the monitor is selected, I am afraid Windows "won't tell anyone" about it - just switch the monitor off, without calling any module (I may be wrong on this one, however).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:VRDB update problems
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 04:03:20 AM »
I am afraid Windows "won't tell anyone" about it - just switch the monitor off, without calling any module (I may be wrong on this one, however).

You're right... The user can set avast screen saver in the Video properties and 'shutdown' the monitor manually. I can see no other option to activate avast screen saver module...  ::)
The best things in life are free.