Author Topic: system restore  (Read 13149 times)

tpeac

Re: system restore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
By using the avast uninstall (the text is a link to it) too in step 3.

Because of a possible failed install, as you say you tried to install from a limited user account (I believe you can't do that) you should run the avast uninstall utility from safe mode (http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml).

The installation would be in windows add remove programs, I assume that by control panel you mean add remove programs within the control panel.

Logged in as administrator, downloaded the Avast Uninstall utility. printed the instructions from pchell.com and logged in safe mode  --  no trace in Add or remove.

When the program downloads on to the computer one has to select 'run' or 'save' I clicked run but, as I said I had broken off at that point so it never was actually completed.    A bit like things blowing around in the air on a windy day which have not landed yet, now then can you magic it out??   tpeac

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »
You should have selected save as that puts it on your HDD so you can run it from safe mode.

So you will need to download it, saved to your HDD, shutdown and then boot into safe mode and run the uninstall utility from where you saved it too.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tpeac

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
You should have selected save as that puts it on your HDD so you can run it from safe mode.

So you will need to download it, saved to your HDD, shutdown and then boot into safe mode and run the uninstall utility from where you saved it too.

Hi David R,

Half a sec, I get easily confused, the Avast 4 Home Edition is the one that I downloaded as a 'run'.     I downloaded the Avast Uninstall Utility as a save to the desktop, sorry didn't know that I had to save to HDD?    It's my first attempt at a safemode. 

Would it be possible to have explicit step by step instructions please.

tpeac.     

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
Basically you shouldn't download anything as Run, but save to your hard disk, or you would be on-line whilst installing an application and if you have a problem, you haven't got a copy of what you downloaded.

I think you just said what to do.
Your desktop is a location on your Hard Disk, however I prefer to have a specific location for downloads, like C:\Downloads (a folder called Downloads on your C:\ drive) this makes it easy to find later as your desktop may be different in safe mode.

So if you saved the uninstall tool to the desktop boot into safe mode and double click on the icon for it on your desktop and that will run the avast uninstall utility, reboot when complete.

No your problem will be since you didn't save the avast home version to your HDD you won't have a copy of it and you will need that to reinstall. This could mean being on-line without protection whilst you download and save it, which isn't very good.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tpeac

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 08:14:02 AM »
Basically you shouldn't download anything as Run, but save to your hard disk, or you would be on-line whilst installing an application and if you have a problem, you haven't got a copy of what you downloaded.

I think you just said what to do.
Your desktop is a location on your Hard Disk, however I prefer to have a specific location for downloads, like C:\Downloads (a folder called Downloads on your C:\ drive) this makes it easy to find later as your desktop may be different in safe mode.

So if you saved the uninstall tool to the desktop boot into safe mode and double click on the icon for it on your desktop and that will run the avast uninstall utility, reboot when complete.

No your problem will be since you didn't save the avast home version to your HDD you won't have a copy of it and you will need that to reinstall. This could mean being on-line without protection whilst you download and save it, which isn't very good.

Is there any way that I can transfer the location of the AvastUU to HDD as safe mode only shows the 'recycle bin'
on my desktop.

If it is not possible to transfer to HDD then   (1)   How do I get rid of the uninstall utility on my desktop before I reinstall the AUU.  (2) Put a folder for downloads on HDD?

tpeac

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »
You download it in normal mode to your HDD, that location would still be the same even in safe mode, that is why I suggested it as the desktop could change.

Create a folder in the c: drive call it Downloads or any other name you choose and copy (or drag & drop it) it from its existing location (desktop) to the folder you created (downloads, etc.). Now boot into safe mode, using windows explorer navigate to the downloads folder and double click the avast uninstall utility file.

tpeac

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »
Hello I'm back, I thought I had followed your instrs. but there seems to be a problem.   On checking the events log System has several error entries for event ID7000 and 7009 therse are saying that avast has not started.   

Help and support replies for 7009 - user should verify that service is configured correctly also that the system is in a healthy state, for example, it is not running low on resources.

???

tpeac.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 03:51:25 PM »
If you say what you 'did,' perhaps we can see something you didn't follow as per the instructions.

Perhaps if you post the complete error entry rather than a summary, it might help.

I really haven't got a clue at what stage you are at, if you had followed the instructions; download and save the uninstall utility; boot into safe mode, find and run the uninstall utility and reboot; there shouldn't be any remnants of avast left.

So theoretically there shouldn't be any error log entries that avast didn't start, as it should have been removed. Either these entries are chronologically old pre-dating the uninstall utility or the utility failed to run or you have tried to install avast again without first confirming it was removed.

So as I said I really haven't a clue at what stage you are at, it is getting very hard to follow what has been done.