Author Topic: Is Norton Anti Virus 2009 better then Avast?  (Read 16292 times)

gate1975mlm

Is Norton Anti Virus 2009 better then Avast?
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is Norton Anti Virus 2009 better then Avast?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »
You really are asking the wrong people, those on the avast support forums are going to be using avast, unless they are prepared to uninstall their AV to install NAV 2009 and I don't think you are going to find many takers in that regard.

As a similar question on the NAV forums, is avast better than NAV 2009 and you are not only likely to get the post detected as totally unrelated to NAV their response is as likely to be as biased as it is likely to be here.

I certainly won't be installing any NAV on my system regardless of all the marketing hype. I'm of the opinion of if it isn't broke don't fix it school of thinking and avast certainly isn't broken so I'm not looking for a replacement.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »
I would rather sell my Mother into slavery with the Taliban than install anything Norton spit :o

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:41:16 AM »
These questions, is X better than Y, is always hard to answer! I like avast, and even if NAV2009 would win every test, I would still continue using avast! It is so many things that I like in avast, so even if I get paid to use another av, I would not accept the money. So, for me it's avast all the way! :)

"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

shockwavesn1per

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 01:51:05 AM »
You really are asking the wrong people, those on the avast support forums are going to be using avast, unless they are prepared to uninstall their AV to install NAV 2009 and I don't think you are going to find many takers in that regard.
I was did like the way David thinks. :D Of course, he is right on the point, you will receive biased responses.

I really don't see how NAV is any way better than avast!. What makes you doubt avast?
I may sound biased, but I'm not. I'm just saying I don't see how any one AV is better than the other.

One aspect I just do not like is Norton's size and bulk. Just to name one.
@YoKenny: That sounds a bit harsh O.O. I rather just trash the PC completely. Haha, I know it was just an expression.[/quote]

MiguelAngelXP

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:55:59 AM »
I think a software is good if does the task that it was created for... if NAV 2009 performs well , its good, otherwise its bad. To compare both av's , well its another story.

By the way why to pay for something that you can get for free??, but all opinions are valid.

Regards
MiguelAngelXP  ;D

Kinder

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

they are comparable, both have strenghts and weaknesses, but yu can use them to protect efficiently your computer ^_^

But I still prefer Avast!, one product for one task :p I don't need a firewall or an antispam, so  Alwil, please never put a firewall or an antispam in your AV !!

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »
according to my experience with Norton and Avast, I found out that Norton misses detecting more viruses than Avast. Moreover, the uninstallation of Norton with its removal tool may cause problems, such as a blank screen in the restore system windows...

NourinE

adi_dmj

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
i have recently installed avast.(didnot renewed norton this time0

I would say NAv has improved a lot in recent time as NIS2008 was pretty fast but will ask you always to reboot after liveupdate.

sometime your compuer wont boot you have no luck in using LKGC or system restore in safe mode.(hopeless)

I feel so far avst is better as i have sucessfully used system restore operation twice  after uninstalling the two programs

one thing that i would like to suggest is about the appearance of avast on web like if u r hit by a virus and come to avast site ( like mcafee or norton or AVG or panda) you wont find any info on avast web site.

the knowlegebase reading material in my openion is definitly bettr on symantec( a personal view)
avast should improve on this point. cause it creates a impression that avast dont have the real knowledge of virus but by collabrating with industry it has the virus and detection signature to include in VPS

I hope avast will look serously onto these aspects

regards

Adi

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »
we're making last few steps to start an *live* virus report and the descriptions will follow soon.. these functions are dependant on the new Avast version (now in public beta testing)...

iisjman07

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »
It's got worse detection AND slows your PC terribly... can you guess which it is?

tsilo

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
It's got worse detection AND slows your PC terribly... can you guess which it is?

Do u ever even triyd Norton 2009??? have worse detection and slows down computer???  :o ar you joking??? it's lightes AV on earth and have VERY GOOD detection, second after Avira..
Try it and you will never use different AV!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »
What is getting worse? Norton?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
Yes, I think that is what he is hinting at ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iisjman07

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
The lightest AV is Nod32 from ESET. This is my favourite after avast