Author Topic: Is Norton Anti Virus 2009 better then Avast?  (Read 16242 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Is Norton Anti Virus 2009 better then Avast?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 09:35:55 AM »
I've read the odd report or review from Norton users to indicate that the 2009 offering (of AV or suite) is a huge improvement on the behemoths that preceded it.
(Well, it would have to be, wouldn't it?)
Apparently system load, scan speed, updating is all improved.
Don't take my word for it, though, because I haven't tried it.
Avast has never given me a reason to want to try anything else.
I'm quite happy with my bias.  ;)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 11:29:12 AM »
Is Norton Anti Virus 2009 better then Avast?

In my personal opinion NO.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

RonE

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
I run Norton Internet Security 2009, NOD32 and Avast! on different computers for different reasons.  In my experience, all three applications appear to do a reasonable job of protecting against malware and all three are relatively unobtrusive as far as computer resources go.  The Norton product includes a workable two-way firewall, which the other products do not.

However, Avast! has one MAJOR advantage that the other products do not have. That advantage is this forum and the helpfulness of its participants!

CharleyO

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »

Another major advantage of avast is the availability of a boot-time scan.  :)

gery

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »
some of the members here are talking about Norton as it was a crap but please do not judge this SUITE because of the previous experiences. If this thread was to be discused a year or two ago i would have agreed but there is little to say about Norton 2009.It is fast and very effective and this year support is fantastic. One of the drawbacks is that it is very expensive yet.Let us not be simple in our judgement but talk realistcly

Pc;i would reather have AVAST. I like it a lot  :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »
There really is no way you are going to get a realistic unbiased answer to this question in the avast forums. The same would be true asking if avast is better than Norton on the Norton forum you are going to get a biased set of answers.

Those who have used it before only have that experience to go on and if you are happy you aren't going to uninstall it, pay for Norton just to try it in its latest incarnation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gery

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »
David!
I personally think there is a way to not be so overwhelmed by euphoria of a certain product and make a rational discussion of another and there are a lot of proofs to not bash NORTON so badly only because we are on AVAST webforum. I am personally using AVAST tho i have a licence for AVG which is really bloated and TREND 2009 which is a total mess and find AVAST  a much better protection choice.
I am sorry to keep this discussion . Hope no offense for you   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 05:44:54 PM »
How can you make a rational discussion with zero experience of a product, answer you can't, which is why I said in the first place that the question was flawed in that it is being asked in the wrong place. People who are in the avast forum that you are effectively asking the question or are unlikely to have ever used NAV 2009.

Whilst I don't take any offence, I do think it is a little cheeky to ask this sort of comparison with another AV on the official avast anti-virus support forum, which is after all being paid for by Alwil software. So this really has nothing to do with Norton bashing or the merits of one AV over another.

It is simply not the place to discuss it, as I said I wouldn't expect this reverse question"is avast! better than nav 2009" to be very well received on any official norton forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

onlysomeone

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »

no  ;)

just my minor opinion!

yours
onlysomeone

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
some of the members here are talking about Norton as it was a crap but please do not judge this SUITE because of the previous experiences.
That's our difficulty... we have just used the old versions.
Seems that the "server" version is quite better than the final PC user one.
But it's difficult for me to say good things about Symantec... Maybe I need to get mature ;D
The best things in life are free.

RonE

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 12:10:06 AM »
I am not so sure that price really differentiates the products either.  Although, it is hard to beat Avast's free version, if you want the couple of additional features found in the Pro version, then Avast can get costly.  And, I can buy a 3-user license for Norton 2009 at a price that is nearly zero after rebates.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 01:57:37 AM »

Hmmm, a fair question.
I will not get into the details, but I will try and throw out a couple of reasons here.

Norton, and its' counter part McAfee, for some time now have been the standard for detection and protection software. The trouble is, the script kiddies are well versed in the "standards" and often create new and nastier little bugs to avoid such standards.
To combat this, Norton and McAfee kept adding to their engines, expanding rules, definitions, background detections, ect.
The end result of this little cyber war was that the standards became so over bloated that they started taking over the systems they were on. I have used both Norton and McAfee and in the beginning I was happy with both. As time went on, I found that my system was running slower and slower, that some commands that I had given to my system were being blocked and/or repeatedly scanned to death, and that in some cases, my boot time went from a few seconds to "oh lord, I better get a cup of coffee".
With Norton, my system eventually collapsed. When I noticed McAffee starting down the same road, I killed it to.
So, then I found myself with no AV scanner. For awhile I used online virus scanners, but this became inconvenient and offered no real time protection of course.
I used AVG for some time untill they changed the program in such away as it added to much garbage , (stuff I did NOT want), on to my system that it too became a bloated cow.
Enter !Avast. I found this av scanner to be feature rich, with a lighter profile on my system than any of the others. I also like its "modular" type of assembly, giving the user the choice as to suspend one or more parts of its' services without leaving the user wide open. It has regular updates, and strong protections.
That was reason enough for me. I have been using it ever since, and I have gotten my friends on it as well.
In closing, I guess the term "better" is a personal opinion. If you do not have any trouble with the "bloated cow" than stick with what you know. When you are tired of your system running like a turtle, dump Norton and get !Avast. Soap box has now been vacated :)
P.S. Before you ask, no, I did NOT run Norton and McAfee at the same time. That would be bad :)

gery

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »
ok i want to clear my statement again
i do agree with this logic that there is no point of comperison here and the discussion should be closed if everyone here (including myself) is using AVAST and is happy with it so why chat about it?
We all know the answer.
thanks again and good luck

How can you make a rational discussion with zero experience of a product, answer you can't, which is why I said in the first place that the question was flawed in that it is being asked in the wrong place. People who are in the avast forum that you are effectively asking the question or are unlikely to have ever used NAV 2009.

Whilst I don't take any offence, I do think it is a little cheeky to ask this sort of comparison with another AV on the official avast anti-virus support forum, which is after all being paid for by Alwil software. So this really has nothing to do with Norton bashing or the merits of one AV over another.

It is simply not the place to discuss it, as I said I wouldn't expect this reverse question"is avast! better than nav 2009" to be very well received on any official norton forum.
:o

sdsurratt

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »
I wish I could cite the source, instead of relying on my feeble recall.

I read a comparison of a bunch of AV programs that showed how much the AV program slowed the computer, Norton (and I believe McAffee) were TREMENDOUS drains on the system, while Avast  was 1 of the best.  Avast appears to be faster on the 1 computer I have it on (as opposed to 7 computers with various Norton products) I have another computer that I had to remove Norton from due to the fact that the essential program on that computer froze frequently with a Norton AV version on it.

So as my norton subscriptions expire, I'm planning on switching to Avast