Author Topic: A DANGEROUS VIRUS can anyone help ??!!  (Read 17372 times)

ardvark

Re: A DANGEROUS VIRUS can anyone help ??!!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »
Hi...

Good to see you back. :)

If I had to guess why Avast didn't see "XP Antivirus 2008" and attempt to delete it is probably because this particular class of malware falls under the heading of "rogue" software. It's not actually a virus per se but it has negative or harmful effects. On the other hand, as Timcan noted, it's listed in Avast's virus definition database, so I really don't know. ???

As for removal, it looks like you got frustrated and just reinstalled the operating system. Well, that's one way of taking care of it. ;D However, I'm pretty sure installing and running MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware would have removed it. It did on my neighbor's system a while back. :)

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:05:40 PM by ardvark »

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 11:28:19 PM »
Well, I have to think that if Jesus used windows,
he would probably trash IE and use FireFox instead.
If Jesus was alive today he would know that zealots still abound and to take their advice carefully as not one browser suits everyone.
He would load NoSCript and AdBlock Plus, use avast! in the backround,
and have Malwarebytes' at his finger tips along with Spybot.
He would use avast! and a HOSTS file as one of his disciples.

HOSTS files I use:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

Managed with HostsMan and I use its HostsServer proxy to speed up browsing:
http://www.abelhadigital.com

He would trust the messages that his set up gave him, especialy the ones from NoScript telling him that scripts were blocked.
He would also SCAN everything downloaded..(oh, wait, avast! is doing that already), and lastly he would keep his system updated.

I know that seems overly simple, but even us ubber download geeks need to be reminded of the basics every once in awhile.
I purposely back my system up, then expose it to items that I see in the respectable posts such as this one.
avast! does work. So does NoScript with-in firefox. Malwarebytes and Spybot are two of my all time favs, keep em updated and they work too.
I guess in the end, if you have the tools loaded, you should trust them. If warnings pop up, don't just close the window, read it.
Amen
You can all be seated now  :P 
I never got up.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:32:43 PM by YoKenny »

SKYCOMP

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 06:14:06 AM »
Well, i can attest that at least on some rogue websites this latest so-called malware/spyware is exhibiting authentic virus behavior because i landed on one and it completely uninstalled/corrupted IE where it became "mute" at clicking on it.

A quick check of Iexplore.exe file size made it evident that a file infector was in play here.

As soon as i can retrace this site again and verify it, i'll offer more info, but i will say this, i had to revert to an image restore to regain my IE web browser again.

With this particular exploit spreading like it has, and it's makers releasing more and more modified versions of it, don't be surprised. They are integrating more than just simple malware code in it, they've now elevated to adding a virus infection within it too.

Regards: SKYCOMP

ardvark

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 07:11:09 AM »
If Jesus was alive today

He still is. :)

See Luke starting at 23:50 through the end of chapter 24. ;)

Best Regards...